There isn’t an official topic posted at Ten on Tuesday this week so I’m winging it. Here’s my list of 10 Things I Love About The County Fair.
1. People watching. Oh, the sights you’ll see!
2. Beer. I was so happy when I was finally old enough to walk around with a beer at the fair. And the thrill isn’t gone.
3. Corn dogs. I only discovered the wonder of the corn dog a few years ago. I can’t believe I went so many years without trying this culinary delicacy.
4. The rides. I don’t go on as many as I used to but they are still fun. My favorite was that big dragon boat one but only if I could sit in the very last seat.
5. The animals. Rabbits, sheep, cows, chickens, pigs. Yeah, they smell. But it’s part of the ambiance.
6. The demolition derby. Dirt and smoke and grease and crashing cars. Good times. I have a secret dream to drive a car in a demolition derby some day.
7. The giant pumpkin contest. Sure, they’re ugly and pale orange but they are HUGE.
8. The arts and crafts exhibit. Our particular fair doesn’t get much in the way of knitting entries but the quilts are fantastic. And the photography exhibit is always very good.
9. Fried dough, candy apples, fudge, deep fried oreos and twinkees, giant lollipops. I rarely eat these sweets, even at the fair, but I love seeing them all over the place.
10. Soak the Bloke. The heckling is great and the cheering when someone finally dunks him is just the best.
This was probably one of the easiest lists I’ve ever written. I guess I really do love the fair!