While we have had limited success growing vegetables, we seem to have more success with herbs. This year I’ve expanded my little herb garden a bit and I’m really enjoying having fresh herbs growing right outside my kitchen door. As I was watering it yesterday I was inspired to make this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic, 10 Favorite Herbs.
- Basil. This has to be first because it’s my absolute favorite. There is so much you can do with it but I love to keep it simple and just skewer a basil leaf between a fresh mozzarella ball and a grape tomato.
- Parsley. The workhorse of herbs, it goes with everything.
- Mint. I’ve got spearmint and peppermint and there’s plenty to make mojitos all summer long.
- Sage. So fragrant, so pretty when it flowers.
- Speaking of fragrant, lavender. This is my first year with this herb and I don’t have much to pick yet but I’m hopeful.
- Dill. Again, my dill plant is very small but I hope it will grow and expand.
- Cilantro. This one is definitely a love it or hate it herb and I just so happen to love it.
- Rosemary. Another one that’s fragrant. Chop it fine and a little goes a long way.
- Chives. Snip, snip, snip and you’ve got a mild onion taste to add to your salad.
- Oregano. Versatile and easy to dry, this is an all around favorite.
There is so much you can do with fresh herbs. I think I’ll go pick some right now!