I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
While we have had limited success growing vegetables, we seem to have more success with herbs. This year I’ve expanded my little herb garden a bit and I’m really enjoying having fresh herbs growing right outside my kitchen door. As I was watering it yesterday I was inspired to make this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic, 10 Favorite Herbs.
- Basil. This has to be first because it’s my absolute favorite. There is so much you can do with it but I love to keep it simple and just skewer a basil leaf between a fresh mozzarella ball and a grape tomato.
- Parsley. The workhorse of herbs, it goes with everything.
- Mint. I’ve got spearmint and peppermint and there’s plenty to make mojitos all summer long.
- Sage. So fragrant, so pretty when it flowers.
- Speaking of fragrant, lavender. This is my first year with this herb and I don’t have much to pick yet but I’m hopeful.
- Dill. Again, my dill plant is very small but I hope it will grow and expand.
- Cilantro. This one is definitely a love it or hate it herb and I just so happen to love it.
- Rosemary. Another one that’s fragrant. Chop it fine and a little goes a long way.
- Chives. Snip, snip, snip and you’ve got a mild onion taste to add to your salad.
- Oregano. Versatile and easy to dry, this is an all around favorite.
There is so much you can do with fresh herbs. I think I’ll go pick some right now!