The final Harry Potter movie opens this Friday and I’m planning on seeing it as soon as possible. I have mixed feelings about this because, while I’m excited about it, I’m also sad about it as it’s the last one. It got me thinking, though, about all the great things in the Harry Potter books and that was my inspiration for this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: 10 Awesome Things About the Harry Potter Books.
Dale will always be my favorite wizard.
- Hogwarts. I mean, really, don’t you want to go there? I know I do! The moving staircases, the talking paintings, the ghosts – it’s the ultimate fantasy.
- Diagon Alley. There’s wizards and ice cream, wand shops and a bank guarded by goblins. So cool.
- Honeydukes Sweetshop. The toffee alone would entice me but all the other stuff is fascinating, too.
- Dumbledore. Sure, he can be scary and he is flawed but he is good and I want to know him.
- Platform 9 and 3/4. Don’t we all have a fantasy about a pretend passage way? This one is the ultimate and you get to ride on the Hogwarts Express.
- Room of Requirement. I know I could use one of these. It would be filled with all the yarn I love and I’d never run out for a project. I’d always have just the right size knitting needles and the perfect buttons. Ahhh.
- The food. It appears as if by magic, it is prepared by house-elves, and it never runs out.
- Magic. I almost didn’t include it because it’s so obvious but really, it’s the concept behind the entire series and I am astounded at the spells and potions J.K. Rowling created in these books.
- Sirius Black. He’s dark and twisty and misunderstood. He’s the reason Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite.
- Minerva McGonagall. Tough but fair, and she gets to turn into a cat.
Writing this list was so much fun and I’m tempted to go back and re-read all the books again. What a wonderful gift we all got when J.K. Rowling wrote these.