The other day it occurred to me – I am a grown up. This isn’t the first time it has occurred to me, of course, but for some reason I thought about it the other day. And you know, a lot of the time I don’t actually feel like a grown up but at 48, well, there it is. And so I decided to make this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: Ten Things That Make You Feel Like a Grown Up.
- Paying bills. It’s the downside of being a grown up but there it is.
- Grocery shopping. I plan the meals and buy whatever I want. This is one of the cool things about being a grown up, that’s for sure.
- Voting. I take it very seriously.
- Dining out alone. I’ve only had the opportunity to do this a couple of times but I actually enjoyed it.
- Going to meetings. They can be boring but it’s definitely an adult thing for me.
- Being married. And not just being married but staying married, being together for the long haul and having a history together. Very grown.up.
- The fact that both my mom and dad have died. I miss them but it’s sort of liberating to not worry about what they think of the decisions I make.
- Drinking wine. Good wine.
- Having a passport. Okay, I know that you can get a passport as an infant but having one (and actually getting to use it!) makes me feel like a grown up.
- Throwing a party and not having it be BYOB. A few weeks ago we had friends over for dinner and they actually did bring their own beer and I laughed, remembering all those times when we all had to chip in for stuff like this.
You’ll notice I didn’t say a thing about finding grey hair. Not.a.thing.
Did you write a post for today? Please share your link below. As always, if you want to subscribe to the Ten on Tuesday email list then just click here.