A New Me: Two Years In

Two years ago today I made a spontaneous decision to join our local Y. It was random and something I hadn’t given a moment’s thought to until I just got in my car and drove there. It was a Tuesday and there was nothing particular that motivated me to join on that day. In the words of that very popular Nike campaign, I just did it.

Two months after I joined, I wrote this post.

And one year ago today, I wrote this post.

All of those things are still true. Well, except for the part about having lost 50 pounds. I put 10 pounds on over last fall and the holidays. I have taken off 5 of those pounds and I’m working on taking off more – another 25 if I’m going to be completely honest. It’s a struggle, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that. I sabotage myself more than I like to admit and I’m not sure why but I’m working on figuring that out. And through it all, I’m exercising.

3 weeks ago I started training with the Couch to 5K program again. Admitting that feels a little bit like admitting to a failure but I’m putting it out there because I am determined to finish the program and run an entire 5K this time. Over the past 2 years I have run and walked a couple of races and many many miles. But I have not been consistent with my running and I have walked more than I’ve run. I want that to change. I want to be able to go out and run a couple of miles and just get it done. I want to be stronger in spin class and I want to lose more weight. I want to stop with the snacking and indulging. I want to be proud of myself and nothing makes me feel prouder than running does.

I’ve come a long way over the past two years and I’ve done things I never imagined I could do. And, while my motivation these days is mostly about that damn scale, the biggest and best part of all of this is the way I feel.

carole ready to leave for carole knits

I feel awake and determined and proud and strong and healthy and changed.

Comments

1. Dee says

I often think the best decisions are ones that are just made and done without thinking. Many things are best when we “Just Do It”. Keep at it with your goals – I’m sure your determination will help you get to where you want to be!

2. Bev S. says

I totally understand. I exercise a lot but also LOVE to eat and cook. I wish that I had more self control. Hang in there and thanks for being so honest.

There is a very determined tone to your voice in this post. There is no doubt in my mind you can reach your goal, given your attitude. Starting fresh with Couch to 5K is not a failure, it’s a refresher and a realignment. There is no try, there is only do and I believe in you.

Congratulations! And let me know what 5K you pick, I may just join you. I could use a target. It’s a life long process, hard work all along the way but so worth it in the end…look how you look and feel…wooooooooo hoooo!

5. Geri says

Every journey has a few bumps and detours. Your determination will put you on the path to your goal

6. Jeanne E says

Congratulations on your two year accomplishments and just remember not to be too hard on yourself!!

7. Robby says

Getting/staying in shape is like that saying about life: “Living, it’s just so, well, daily.” Which isn’t always encouraging when you think about it, but it is that way, and it means we keep getting new days to work towards it. You can do it!

Congrats to you Carole! Putting yourself first when you have a family and other responsibilities is hard to do. But just keep doing it because you ARE worth it! I wish you every success in reaching your goals :-)

9. Jo-Ann says

Definitely not a failure – look at all you’ve accomplished! Sure, setbacks will happen … but you always get back on track. You’re just refreshing your fitness goals :)

You keep reaffirming your commitment to yourself every time you work out. Eating is an issue for me too. Every day we have to do it and I don’t always get it right. You are using your tools and getting better and better. You look radiant and at peace in this photo. Hold on to that for the trying moments.

I can’t believe it’s been two years already! glad you’ve got a new goal in mind and love the smile on your face. you can do whatever you set your mind to, I’m confident!

Yay Carole!! Keep it up. You know you are healthier even if the scale is giving you problems. Run, walk, whatever…just keep moving!!

13. Kathode Ray Tube says

Carole, I’m so impressed that you made these changes in your life and are keeping with it despite the ups and downs. I don’t know if you’ve been listening to or reading Project Louise on WBUR (http://commonhealth.wbur.org/tag/project-louise ) but I’ve been finding that helpful too as I figure out how to get more healthy myself. Kudos to you!

You can do it! When you’re training and the scale doesn’t cooperate, just tell people that you’re gaining muscle – that’s what I do. Strong doesn’t mean any number on the scale, it means how you feel and what you can do. So go be strong!

15. Chrissie says

The important part is that you are doing it. You were determined enough to commit to change. You look better and better every time I see you, so celebrate that!

If I can offer any words of advice to help with your struggle… Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Exercise is very important, but not as important as what goes into your mouth every day. Stop snacking. Eat when you’re hungry and not when you’re not. When you are hungry though, eat a meal of meat and veggies. Protein fills you up and lasts a whole lot longer than empty carbs. Forget about sugar and flour. No good ever comes from that poison on the inside. Finally, feel good about the evolving you and enjoy the new life that you’re discovering! Have fun! :)

Carole, I haven’t read your blog in years and years but I clicked over from Pinterest tonight and I’m so glad to see you are doing well. You look great and this is such an inspirational post! Keep up the exercise and you don’t worry what the scale says. :)

17. Barbara S says

Congratulations, Carole. You’ve accomplished quite a lot already and you’re still motivated. That’s wonderful. It’s all a journey.

You have SO much to be proud of. You have accomplished so very much in 2 years. Even after you lose all the weight you want it’s still a struggle (or so I hear – I’m still in the losing phase) to not gain it all back. You can do it!!!

19. Brenda says

Stop being so hard on yourself—you have managed to keep over 40 pounds off and that is HUGE. I also believe that there is no way you can fail the Couch to 5K—every time you get off of the couch, get out of the house, and walk or run, you have succeeded. Think about how much healthier and active you will be in the future because you are making these changes today and sticking with it.

20. Marcy says

Bravo for you! It’s a constant struggle for me too, but so important to keep on trying. Feeling fantastic is the best reward.

21. Catie says

Yay, you!! You are a motivator to me to get on it and get moving. I started a running program about 4 years ago, and couldn’t figure out why my knees were hurting all of a sudden, or why I was so tired. Turns out I was pregnant with my surprise bonus child, and while I workout a fair amount, the running just didn’t happen again. But I’m ready to try it again.

I get the self-sabotage. I do it myself, way too much. I think I’m up for the challenge, though, as long as I don’t have to completely give up cocktail hour!!

22. Susan says

Forget the regrets about not finishing the Couch to 5K program – YET! As Flylady would say: “You are not behind. … Just jump in where you are!” You’ve accomplished a lot, and keeping off 40 lbs is FABULOUS! Baby steps. You’ll get there!