You may recall that last month I told you I was going to cover my bathroom vanity top with concrete. Now. This would not be something I would just randomly decide to do. But. Our bathroom vanity was cracked last summer (by Hannah and I don’t believe her story for a minute) and I just didn’t want to go through the hassle of replacing the entire piece along with the medicine cabinet and other cabinet that matched. I liked what we had and didn’t want to start over. (We last did the bathroom in 2009 and you can go here if you want to see what we had prior to that and prior to this most recent update.)
So anyway. For months we lived with a big ole crack in the sink top. And I hemmed and hawed and looked at vanities and did . . . nothing. Until I saw this idea on Pinterest and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. So I decided to go for it. I mean, really, what did I have to lose? That vanity had to go one way or the other and if this didn’t work I knew I could just bite the bullet and buy a new one. So, I took a deep breath, got Dale and I a couple of cheap American beers, and just.did.it.
Here’s the very first photo I took of this project. You’ve seen it already but you just might need a refresher.
And this one, because, really, it sums up so perfectly Dale’s concerns for my project. Trust me, I said. It will look great, I said.
It’s a good thing he loves me, right? Because this is what it looked like after the first coat of concrete. And in case you think I came up with this idea on my own, I did not. I followed this tutorial very closely.
This is after 2 or 3 coats. I think. I sort of lost track of all of this because it was a lengthy process. Easy. But it took the better part of a week. In any case, it’s looking less like a hot mess.
And finally, the finished product. Not bad, huh?
While we were updating the sink we (and by we I mean me) decided to paint the walls, too. I loved that orange for a lot of years but I was ready for something quiet. And neutral. The new wall color is Smoked Oyster by Valspar and it’s a really soothing grayish brown. It matches the concrete nicely and I love the way the white wood pops.
We also – finally! – had a new floor installed. Since we saved so much by redoing the vanity ourselves we were able to spend that money on a new floor. Seriously, I’ve been waiting 20 years to replace that old bathroom floor. It was faded and had burn marks from back in the day when Dale smoked and it was just horrid.
I absolutely love this hexagon tile look. I especially love that it’s luxury vinyl and I don’t have to clean lots and lots of grout.
We have new towels and new accessory pieces and it feels like a whole new bathroom.
With the same old shower curtain. I know, I know, but I still love it and I don’t want to change it. The good thing is, though, that with all of these neutral shades, I could easily change the shower curtain for different seasons and still put this one back up whenever I want.
There’s one last glamour shot of the sink. I have to say that I’m really proud of myself for doing this. Usually, when it comes to stuff around the house, I do all the planning and Dale does all the heavy lifting. Not this time, though. This time, this sink, was my project and I took it from start to finish. Woo hoo. (I still had him do all the painting and other stuff, I’m not an idiot.)
And there you have it – our updated bathroom! And the cost, including the new floor, paint, new towels and all, less than $700.
I call that a win.