How ’bout that Oscar show?! I have some random thoughts I’d love to share with you . . .
- I did not miss having a host . . . much. I’m always going to miss Billy Crystal as host so without him I’m actually okay with no one.
- Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper were fabulous. I loved that they walked up to the stage from their seats and the chemistry between them is smokin.
- Spike Lee . . . it’s about time he won, that’s awesome. His temper tantrum, though? Understandable but maybe not so cool.
- Olivia Colman was clearly not expecting to win and that made her speech so utterly genuine and bumbling and wonderful.
- Melissa McCarthy and Brian Tyree Henry in those elaborate gowns complete with stuffed bunnies was hilarious.
- There was diversity and that was great. More women, more POC, but clearly there’s still a long way to go. I loved Green Book and it’s great that it won but really, it’s another movie about a white person helping a black person and then they all live happily ever after. Truthfully, I’d have much rather seen BlackKlansman or Black Panther or even Roma (which I thought was dullsville but I recognize is A Film) have won the big award of the evening.
- Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are just awesome. Perhaps the 3 of them could host next year.
- And, finally, one of my favorite lines of the entire evening: A period should end a sentence, not a girl’s education. Preach, Melissa Berton.
Here’s the food we served:
You get extra credit if you can figure out how we came up with our menu.
And that’s a wrap on the Oscars of 2019.