- Hannah is unexpectedly home for the week. Her school got slammed in the snowstorm last Saturday and they were without power for a while. She went to her roommate’s house on Sunday and thought she’d be going back on Tuesday for classes to resume on Wednesday but then they cancelled classes until Monday and now she is home. I love having her home but it puts a bit of a cramp in our lifestyle, ya know?
- The New England Fiber Festival is this weekend and I’m very excited to be going with my friends. We are heading out on Friday and hitting up Webs and then all going to dinner together. On Saturday we will go to the fiber festival and on Sunday we will travel back home. I don’t need a single thing but it will be fun to hang out and shop and drink wine and gab.
- I have decided not to participate in NaBloPoMo this year. I did it last year and it was fun but blogging on the weekends just feels too much like work and I don’t work on the weekends. So there. I will definitely enjoy ready 30 blog posts from all my friends who are doing this, though!
I’ve got finished socks to show you but they haven’t been photographed. And I’ve got new socks I’m knitting but they haven’t been photographed, either. I haven’t been anywhere or done anything particularly interesting. That can really only mean one thing. Or is that 3 things?
3 Things I’ve Been Reading
- Water for Elephants. Loved it. Truly, a wonderful story that made the circus come alive for me.
- Freedom Riders. The jury is still out on this one. I watched the documentary on PBS and that was great but I have a feeling the book might be just a little too long with a little too much information but we shall see.
- Crunch Time. I love a good mystery, especially one with recipes thrown in for fun.
3 Things I’ve Been Planting
- Herbs. I got some basil and parsley at the garden center and I got some lavender and dill and catnip at the Garden Club plant sale. The dill isn’t looking great but the others are doing well and I’m enjoying my little herb garden.
- Perennials. I’m trying to grow Lupine again and I’ve also added some Columbine, Comfrey, and Obedient Plant. I’ve moved some things around the yard and the perennial bed is looking better than it has in quite some time.
- Container gardens. I’ve got lots of red verbena and yellow bidens and orange superbells and they are bright and cheerful and look great on the deck.
3 Things I’ve Been Loving
- Biking outside. The other day we rode our bikes to the plant sale and then through the cemetery. It feels so nice to ride outside after being cooped up all winter.
- Watching the hummingbirds. We finally have a full grown male and he is gorgeous. One things I’ve observed is that the female will perch and drink but the male always hovers. I’m rather curious about this.
- Hanging on my deck. We ate out there several times over the weekend. I love my deck – until the damn mosquitoes come out, that is.
3 sets of 3 things = 9 great things in my life right now.
I’m feeling random but not totally random. That means it’s time for some lists of 3.
random picture of random craft ribbon
Three things about television:
- I’m sad that Brothers and Sisters hasn’t been renewed for the fall. I really enjoyed that show.
- I’m happy that Grey’s Anatomy will be back. I didn’t have any doubts about this but it’s still nice to know for sure.
- I’m totally bummed that Oprah is done. I’ve watched her since I was in college and I can’t imagine my afternoons without her. She has shaped the way I think in so many ways and I will miss connecting with her wisdom, generosity, and intellect.
Three things about books:
- I just finished listening to Bonfire of the Vanities. I never read it back in the 80s but I’d always meant to get to it. I’m glad I finally did. It was odd to think back to a world without cell phones and the internet.
- I am currently listening to Water for Elephants and enjoying it immensely.
- I am currently reading Crunch Time by Diane Mott Davidson. I always enjoy her mysteries and love that they are interspersed with recipes.
Three things about my hobbies:
- I just scored a used Wollee Winder and 3 bobbins for my Schacht Matchless. It was an excellent deal and I’m so happy about this since it means I can now sell my Lendrum.
- When I do sell the Lendrum I will put the money towards a new lens for my camera.
- I’m happily knitting red socks for a friend and a cabled sweater for Hannah.
If I’m counting correctly I’ve got 3 lists of 3 and that means I’m done. Happy Thursday, friends, it’s almost the weekend.
As you may have heard, we had a major snow event in my area yesterday. I was stoked for a day at home. I pictured a day full of knitting, reading blogs, and hanging out on Facebook, all with the TV on in the background. Instead I woke up to find we were without power.
You all know I have a wood stove so we weren’t cold. And I have a gas cook stove so we had coffee and tea and a hot breakfast. Really, I can’t complain. And yet, I’m going to do just that.
I read a book on my Kindle and I did some knitting and I was bored. Bored! Me! I’m never bored but I was.
This boredom made me realize 3 things about myself:
- I am addicted to my iPhone. When I wore the battery completely down I sent Dale out into the snow drifts to charge it with my car charger. And when the power came back on shortly after that I sent him back out to retrieve it. My precious, indeed.
- I am addicted to Facebook. It was my connection to the outside world yesterday. Well, until my phone battery gave up.
- I am addicted to television. I needed news and I needed The View and I needed a soap opera and a rerun of Grey’s Anatomy. I was adrift without my favorite shows and my mood was decidedly cranky. I’m not proud of this but it’s true.
The power came back on at 3:45 and within minutes I had the laptop powered up, Hannah was checking Facebook on her Mac, and Dale was using his iPad to check his email.
At least I’m not alone with my addictions.
It’s Thursday and I’m random and that can only mean it’s time for three lists – – –
Three Things I’m Knitting:
- Socks for Hannah. This mother can’t help herself.
- A Baby Surprise Jacket for a friend’s grandbaby.
- A shawl for me. Okay, maybe I’m a little selfish.
Three Things I’m Happy About:
- All your wonderful compliments on the Through the Woods Hood. Thank you!
- The Pats game last Monday night. And they said it was going to be close. Hah!
- Cookie baking. It’s time to make Polish Tea Cakes and Sugar Cookies and Gingerbread Men and Toffee and Peanut Butter Balls. That part is a lot of work but then it’s time to EAT them and SHARE them and that makes me happy.
Three Things I Have to Do:
- Figure out what I’m serving at the annual library staff Christmas lunch on Monday.
- Address and mail our Christmas cards.
- WRAP! My shopping is done but I haven’t wrapped a single thing – time to get cracking on that.
I hope all the things on your lists are making you happy!