I thought I had this post all set to go yesterday . . . and…
Much of last week’s knitting turned out to be a bust. No matter how many times I tell myself to listen to the little voice in my head, well, sometimes I still don’t. Allow me to explain.
I’ve been really wanting to knit Kirsten’s Genmaicha mitts. I wanted a pair when she first released the design and then I wanted them even more when I saw Margene’s. I had a cake of yarn all wound up that I thought would be perfect. It was part of a swap from Elizabeth and I really thought it was sock yarn and I really thought it was fingering weight.
I cast on last week and off I went. The little voice in my head told me the fabric was too stiff and the cast on edge was a bit ruffly. I rationalized that the yarn was probably a heavy sock weight. A very heavy sock weight. Still okay, though, I thought. I fired off an email to Elizabeth to check on what yarn this actually was since I had long ago lost the ball band. She told me it was Duet Sock Yarn. A DK weight.
I was about 2/3 finished with the left mitt at that point and decided it would be fine. Sure, it looked a little big but it was pretty and the cables were very lovely and I just knit on, ignoring the voice in my head telling me to start over with a different yarn.
I finished the mitt on Friday. I knit the thumb and wove in the ends and then I tried it on.
Sigh. Too big.
Look at the ruffling at the cast off edge.
Look at the thumb, fer crying out loud!
Saturday morning I trolled through the stash and found a navy blue skein of Jessie’s A Piece of Vermont Sock Yarn. I started over on Monday, having spent Saturday and Sunday finishing up clue #2 of the TTL Mystery Sock Pattern. I’ve still got a little ways to go on the left mitt but take a look:
There. That’s much better.