Are you ready to hear more about my travels through Virginia? Let’s go.
- Slept late and missed the free hotel breakfast.
- Decided we would get something on our way to our first destination.
- Despite having seen an abundance of strip malls and fast food restaurants we saw nary a one on our way to our destination.
- Ate an apple and grumbled about being hungry.
- Visited and toured the Shirley Plantation. I really liked it there, plus they had cats and I needed a cat fix.
- I grumbled some more about being hungry.
- Got lost trying to find the Malvern Hill Battlefield. We did eventually find it. I was underwhelmed, Dale was joyful.
- Finally had lunch at McDonald’s. That quarter pounder with cheese, which I know is horrible for me and disgusting, tasted like the best thing I’d ever eaten.
- Visited Chimborazo Hospital. We thought we were at the Richmond Battlefield Visitor Center and didn’t have the heart to tell the very enthusiastic volunteer that we did not mean to visit this particular spot.
- Visited the Richmond National Battlefield Visitor Center and the Tredegar Museum.
- Visited the Cold Harbor and Gaines’ Mill Battlefields.
- Announced that that was quite enough battlefields for one day, thankyouverymuch.
- Drove down Monument Avenue, admired the statues and the antebellum houses.
- Had dinner at a wonderful little restaurant on Strawberry Street. The bartender was friendly and awesome.
- Drank a truly delicious beer called Strawberry Harvest Lager.
- Bought 2 six packs of said beer to bring home.
- Soaked in the whirlpool tub in our room.