I’m responding to Kathy’s challenge and posting what I consider to be 10 knitterly things you don’t know about me.
1. I’m afraid of cables. I’ve done some very basic cabling, like the Adrian’s Irish Hiking Scarf, and Amy Boogie’s Hat Trifecta but other than that? Nope, no cables in my knitting past. I’m skeered of the cables, I’ll tell ya plain.
2. I don’t know how to fix knitting mistakes. It’s true. I’ve tried to drop down and fix mistakes and it always results in disaster. So, if I find a mistake, it’s tinking for me.
3. And yet, despite number 2, I’ve never used a lifeline when knitting lace.
3. It’s certainly well known that I love to knit socks. But perhaps you don’t know that I always knit socks top down with a traditional heel flap and round toe. I have no interest in short row heels and short row toes or toe up socks. I’m happy with the way I’m doing things in the sock department.
5. I cast on weird. Or I used to cast on weird before I learned the cable cast on. No matter how many times I try to do the long tail cast on as described, I just keep getting it backwards. So, I don’t use the long tail cast on anymore.
6. I’m a thrower. You probably know this. But what you might not know is that I can knit continental. The problem is, I can’t purl continental. So, I just keep throwing.
7. I am left handed. My nana tried to teach me to knit when I was young and she assumed I would knit left handed so she had me sit across from her while I learned. It didn’t take. When I finally learned to knit as an adult, I realized that I knit right handed. Geez, no wonder my nana couldn’t teach me.
8. I keep my knitting “to do” list on my Palm. I’m actually a little obsessed about this task list and I’m constantly re-organizing and re-prioritizing the list of things I plan to knit. When I start a project I add a note to the task list telling me when I started. I go back and add a second line to the note when the project is finished. I’m not ashamed to admit that I get a little thrill when I cross off a finished project.
9. I sometimes worry that I don’t push myself enough. I knit lots of socks and lots of shawls because they’re easy for me. I think that maybe I should be knitting harder projects. Like things with cables.
10. I never leave the house without my knitting. Never, ever, ever.
So that’s my list. Are you surprised by any of it? Or did you really already know all of these things about me?