We had warm-ish temps over the weekend and I was able to open the windows and air out the house a bit. Boy did that feel good! The scent of spring is definitely in the air around here. Which brings me to this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic, 10 Favorite Smells. I was sure we had done this one already but I went through my archives and I didn’t find it so let’s talk about it.
- Baking bread. It’s a comforting scent and sometimes I think smelling bread baking is even better than eating it. notice I said sometimes.
- Yankee Candles. My favorites are French Vanilla and Macintosh.
- Coffee brewing. I love this smell anytime of day but especially at 5am.
- Roast chicken. This brings me right back to my childhood and Sunday afternoons. My favorite Sunday dinner was roast chicken with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Some things never change.
- Fresh herbs. I grow mint and basil and parsley and when I cut them to bring inside my hands smell so good afterward.
- Chocolate chip cookies. The house smells full of love when I bake them.
- The woods. They smell fresh and damp and pine-y, old and new all at the same time, and I love it.
- Witch hazel. It reminds me of my Nana and cooling down after a hot summer day at the beach.
- Lavender. It’s clean and fresh and I love it in soap.
- A new baby’s head. It’s the fountain of youth and there’s no smell like it in the whole wide world.
If there’s one thing I noticed while writing this list it’s that my favorite smells are strongly associated with my happiest memories. I bet yours are, too.