When I first “took over” Ten on Tuesday it was so easy to come up with ideas for topics. I was brimming with them. These days, though, I often feel like I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas. I’m always open to suggestions so feel free to throw some my way. In the meantime, I hope you won’t mind hearing about my 10 Favorite Snacks.
- Pretzels. I have loved pretzels since I was a kid. Traditional pretzels, pretzel rods, and especially pretzel sticks. When I was little I used to see how many of those pretzel sticks I could fit in my mouth. Of course, I don’t do that anymore. Shut up. I don’t.
- Crackers and cheese. For the crackers I prefer reduced-fat Triscuits or Sociables. For the cheese, Extra Sharp Cheddar, please. I also like Muenster. And Pepper Jack. I also don’t object to some green olives with my cheese and crackers.
- Popcorn. I like microwave popcorn for the easy clean up and convenience but I fondly remember my college days of eating popcorn made from an old-fashioned popcorn popper that belonged to my best friend, Chrissie. I think we ate it every night. My favorite were the half-popped kernels at the bottom of the bowl. I would just get one in my sight and just as I was about to grab it Chrissie would reach in an flick it away. I still laugh when I think about that.
- Nachos. Honestly, I’m happy to take some tortilla chips, top them with jarred salsa and grated cheddar and stick them in the microwave for a minute. That’s not to say I don’t love the restaurant ones that are loaded down with chili and guacamole and all that good stuff, too, however.
- Celery sticks and ranch dip. The dip may not be healthy but at least the veggies are.
- Speaking of dip, potato chips and onion dip. And by onion dip I mean the kind made from Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Brings back memories of my childhood, I tell ya.
- Green grapes. I especially love them right out of the fridge on a hot summer day.
- Bing cherries. The price has gone sky high in recent years but I love them. I’ve been known to eat them until I get a belly ache.
- Combos. The pretzel and cheese ones. They are sort of disgusting but I love them. I only allow myself to eat them on road trips, however. I don’t even know how I came up with this rule but I did and I stick to it.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies. Only homemade ones, though. I made some the other night and they are so simple and fast that I wonder why I don’t make them more often.
All this thinking about food has made me hungry. I think I’ll go have a snack!