It’s the middle of July and I can’t believe it. Summer is my favorite season and it always goes way too fast. Let’s slow it down a bit and talk about our 10 Favorite Beach Songs!
- Beach Baby by First Class. Cheesy, oh yes, but it reminds me of my childhood in the 70s.
- One Particular Harbour. My all time favorite Jimmy Buffett song. It’s the reason I want to go lay on the beach in Tahiti, too.
- The Summer Wind by Johnny Mercer. Or Frank Sinatra, I love them both. This song makes me long for summer nights at the beach house, drinking martinis and dancing in the kitchen with my husband.
- Twisting by the Pool by Dire Straits. Mmm mmm, you’re gonna look so cute, sun glasses, bathing suit . . .
- Montego Bay. I have a strong memory of the first year we rented the house in Mashpee, sitting on the beach with Hannah, listening to this on my iPod. The sun, the surf, the people on the beach, everything was in time to the music and it was a perfect moment.
- Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin. Another one I associate with our summer vacation, I always listen to this as I drive over the Bourne Bridge. Often the traffic is so backed up that I have to listen to it several times before I get over that damn bridge but I’m on my way to vacation so I don’t really mind.
- Knee Deep by the Zac Brown Band with Jimmy Buffett. My new favorite beach song with the perfect line – my only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair – is the way I want to spend my summer.
- Vacation by the Go Gos. This is the one I traditionally listen to as I pull out of the driveway on our way to the Cape.
- Six-Pack Summer by Phil Vassar. Sometimes all you need is a six-pack and the beach. Maybe some t-bones for the grill, too.
- Anything else by Jimmy Buffett. Margaritaville, Coconut Telegraph, Boat Drinks, Fins, A Pirate Looks at Forty, Nautical Wheelers, Son of a Son of a Sailor, Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season – – – they are all perfect beach music.
I’m ready to hit the beach!