I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
I know I usually start my Ten on Tuesday posts by telling you how I came up with the topic idea but I honestly can’t remember when I thought of this one. I know it was a few weeks ago but I wanted to focus on Thanksgiving themed topics for the last couple of weeks and I just can’t recall why I thought of this. It doesn’t really matter, though, because I think it’s a great topic. Ready? Here are my 10 Favorite Musicals.
- Les Miserables. I’ve seen it on stage 4 times, I think, and I’ve loved it every time. It’s coming back to Boston next spring and I’m very tempted to go again.
- Spamalot. I have never laughed so hard and so continuously as I did the night we went to this show.
- Jesus Christ Superstar. This is another one I have seen and it was fantastic. We always listen to the soundtrack during the Easter season, too.
- Hello, Dolly. I’ve seen a couple of very good high school renditions of this but I have to say I love the movie with Barbra Streisand.
- The Music Man. I’m a librarian, what else do I need to say?
- Wicked. Hannah and I had such a good time when we saw this together and I’m sure that’s influencing my decision to include it on my list of favorites.
- The Sound of Music. I can never resist watching it when it comes on TV and Edelweiss always makes me cry.
- The King and I. I used to watch this one with my mom – I swear it was on every Sunday afternoon – and I loved the costumes so much. Getting to Know You, Shall We Dance, and of course Yul Brynner’s “etcetera, etcetera” all stand out in my mind.
- Grease. The first time I saw this was also the first time I saw Dale. I was 12 and he was 26, which is kind of creepy, but his band was hired to play for the grand opening of the movie at our local theater. When they re-released it for 25th anniversary Dale and I went and took all the kids and had a blast.
- Mary Poppins. She was the original super nanny. And can I just say – my chimney is being cleaned today and I always expect the chimney sweep to sing and dance. He never does but I keep hoping. Chim-chim-che-ree indeed.
And there you have it, my favorite musicals. Now tell me yours.