Today’s Ten on Tuesday topic is one that will be slightly different for everyone – the assignment was to write 10 things about a piece of furniture that you own. I chose to write about my kitchen table and so, here are 10 Things About My Kitchen Table.
- It first belonged to Dale’s grandparents. I am extremely honored that we are the 3rd generation to have this kitchen table.
- It has burn marks on it from Dale’s grandmother’s coffee pot. I find this terribly charming.
- There is supposed to be a drawer but it fell apart years ago and Dale has never gotten around to building a new one. I do wish he would, though.
- It is the place where we ate dinner with the kids every night when they all lived here with us. I couldn’t even tell you how many times I have set a dish of baked macaroni and cheese on that table. Or a platter of chicken. Or a simple grilled cheese sandwich.
- When Hannah was little she spilled her milk on this table. Every single night.
- One night I sat at this table with my good friend Sharon and we drank wine and dyed yarn. We spilled some of the dye on the table and the stains are still there. I love those stains and the memory that goes along with them.
- It is where I roll out pie crust. I always think of my mother when I do this and then I think of Dale’s grandmother and wonder how many pie crusts she rolled out on this table, too.
- It is where we put the mail when it’s waiting to be sorted. It’s where Dale leaves the newspaper until he has read it.
- It has a basket of fruit in the center. Usually there are bananas, often there are limes, and occasionally there are other things like avocados, apples and whatever other fruit is seasonal and on sale.
- It is scarred and gouged and imperfect and I wouldn’t trade it for a shiny new table for anything.
I hope you all enjoyed this topic – I really loved thinking about my kitchen table and what it means to me and my family. As Ali Edwards said in the post that inspired this topic, the things we own are pieces of our stories.
If you wrote a post for today be sure and click the link below to share it with everyone. And if you’d like to receive the weekly Ten on Tuesday email then please click here.