This week’s Ten on Tuesday theme is a positive one – hooray! Let’s talk about 10 Great Things About the Holidays.
1. Lights. I absolutely light Christmas lights. White or multi-colored, it’s all good. Just don’t make mine blinking.
2. Greens. I put greens over my windows, greens over my doorways, greens over anything that stands still long enough to get draped.
3. Snowmen. I started collecting snowmen 18 years ago when I bought my first house. I now have a, errr, sizable collection. Finding a place to put all of them has gotten rather challenging.
4. Christmas music. I love Christmas music! All Christmas music. From Reba McEntire to Trans Siberian Orchestra to Trinity Choir – it’s all great.
5. Parties. It seems like we haven’t been to many Christmas parties in recent years. I think people have stopped having them and I hope it’s not that they’ve stopped inviting us! Anyway, we are going to a new one this Saturday night and I’m really looking forward to it.
6. Christmas on the Common. This is our local town celebration and now that I’m a Kiwanis member I was involved in the behind the scenes stuff. The Tree Decorating Contest was all mine to run this year. I also worked at the food trailer and had a blast. The weather was awful – cold rain and wind – but the company and holiday spirit was fantastic.
7. Charities. In recent years I have decreased family gift giving and increased charity giving and it feels great. Not only do I have to do less shopping and wrapping to do but I get to help families who are less fortunate than mine. This is truly the spirit of the holiday and it makes me feel great.
8. Presents under the tree. I enjoy the wrapping and making bows and I really enjoy looking at them when they are placed so carefully under the tree.
9. Christmas cookies. They are fun to bake and fun to share and fun to eat. It just wouldn’t feel like Christmas without the cookies.
10. Christmas Eve. We open our home to friends and family and share our Swedish heritage. It’s a lot of work but I still love doing it.
Wow, that was so easy! I guess I really enjoy Christmas so thinking of 10 Great Things About the Holidays was great.