I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
It’s no secret that I love summer and I’m always sad to see it fade away. However, I try to have a positive attitude about the world around me even when it’s not my favorite season. And so, today’s topic is 10 Things To Love About Fall. Since I do actually enjoy fall a lot, I think this will be fun.
- Outside decorations. Pumpkins and hay bales and mums in a variety of colors decorating porch steps and decks make me happy.
- Inside decorations. I’ve got garlands of silk leaves and ceramic pumpkins and gourds. My house looks appropriately decorated for autumn.
- The first fire in the wood stove. We haven’t had to do this yet and I’m sure in no hurry but there is something very special about the first fire of the season.
- Candles. I love scented candles all the time but in the fall, when the days gets shorter, I find it very comforting to light a candle and enjoy the smell of spiced pears or cinnamon and pumpkin.
- Apples! The time is right for pies and crisps and all things apple-y.
- Comfort food. Sunday I roasted a turkey and had friends and family over to enjoy a delicious turkey dinner with all the fixings. I love to gather around the dinner table this time of year.
- Colorful foliage. We’ve got lots of it here in New England and the drive out to get Hannah for the Columbus Day weekend should be beautiful.
- The weather. Our humidity is (mostly) gone and the days are often warmish while the nights are chilly. A rainy day is welcome this time of year, too, particularly if I’m home and curled up with knitting by the woodstove.
- Flannel shirts. Blue jeans. Boots. After several months of trying to wear as little as possible it’s nice to pull on soft warm clothes and really enjoy the comfort that brings.
- Knitting. It’s so much better in the fall! There are mittens and hats and sweaters to be knit for the upcoming (boo!) winter.