Props to Kym, who came up with this week’s timely topic once again . . . 10 Best Halloween Costumes You’ve Ever Seen.
- When my mom was alive she always made Hannah’s Halloween costumes. I loved the first year when she was only 7 weeks old and we called her a Pumpkin Princess and I loved the year she was a clown, complete with pink high top sneakers but I can’t find photos of that one. I think my favorite costume my mom made for Hannah was the pilgrim one. She had just turned one and carried a little pumpkin and was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.
- Back in the day, Dale’s band always played big Halloween parties and we saw some great costumes over the years. One of my favorites was the guy who was a dry waller. He wore his stilts but covered them with leather “chaps” and was a super tall cowboy. It was a terrific costume and I think he won first prize that year.
- Of course when the band plays a Halloween party they have to dress up, too, and my favorite was the year they went as Robin Hood and His Merry Men. The tights were awesome. Just sayin.
- At that same Halloween party was a guy dressed as a gangster and his wife was a flapper. He had a pin striped suit and carried a plastic machine gun, she wore a red dress covered in black fringe and she had bright red lipstick. They made a great couple.
- One year it was raining really hard on Halloween. We scrapped Hannah’s planned costume – I don’t even remember what it was – and we dressed her in a yellow slicker and rain hat. She carried a fishing pole with a fish made from a brown paper bag hanging off the end and she had a bait bucket for collecting her candy. We threw that costume together in about 10 minutes and got more compliments on it than anything else she’s ever worn. Plus, she was warm and dry while the other kids were cold and wet. Winning!
- Last year for our Halloween party our friends Amy and Bob came as victims from the movie The Birds. It was original and funny and full of awesome.
- Years ago Dale dressed as Beetlejuice for a party Hannah had. He teased his hair all up and covered his face in white paint. He wore torn clothes and had rubber bugs coming out of his pockets. It was a riot!
- Our friend Bruce came as a bottle of fruit juice last year. His wife made his costume and the label on his “bottle” read Juicy Bruce. Like Juicy Juice. Get it? hahahahahaha.
- Our bank used to have a Halloween parade for the kids and I remember one year there was a girl dressed as a rose. She wore dark green sweat pants and a dark green sweat shirt and her mother made this amazing head piece that looked just like a red rose. It was very cool. That was the year Hannah was a clown and my mother was pissed when the rose won first prize – a $25 savings bond.
- When I was a kid my best friend, Kimberly, and I went as a pair of dice. We wore black leotards and tights and my mom turned 2 cardboard boxes into dice by painting them white with black circles. It was a neat costume but I couldn’t sit down and that was a drag.
I had a nice trip down Halloween memory lane by writing this post. Can’t wait to read about all of your favorite costumes, too, so make sure you add the link to your post.