I’m not one to brag but I like to think of myself as smart. I have a good education. I read a lot. I watch the local and world news. I listen to NPR. Maybe I’m not smart so much as informed. Anyway, despite all of this, sometimes I wish I knew more about some subjects. And that’s why today’s Ten on Tuesday topic is 10 Subjects/Things I Wish I Knew More About.
- Geography. My geography sucks once I move outside my local area. I think this is fairly common but that doesn’t make it less of a problem.
- World History. I have a pretty good background in U.S. History but that’s about it.
- World Politics. Again, I’m quite familiar with U.S. politics but the global stuff? Not-so-much.
- World War I and World War II. Are you sensing a theme here with the world stuff? Hold on, I’ve got one more . . .
- World religion. There’s lots of ’em and I know very little about ’em.
- Economics. I was afraid to take this in college because I wasn’t good at math. I should have just done it, though, because I think this is something that would be very useful to me.
- Spanish. I can read a menu and order. I can ask how much something costs. Beyond that, though? I’m a little lost. And I learned something on this trip to Mexico, too. If you ask in Spanish how much something costs, well, they answer you in Spanish. I need to learn my numbers before next year.
- Photography. Also Photoshop. I use my camera every day and I’ve learned a lot in the last 5 years or so but there is still so much more to know.
- Computer programming. Back in the day I could update the library website with simple html. Now, though, with style sheets and Java and so much else, I don’t even dare touch it for the simplest of changes.
- Psychiatry. Seriously, when I got my Master of Library & Information Studies, I should have gotten one in psychiatry, too. It sure would come in helpful at work. Just sayin.
How about you? What subjects do you wish you knew more about? As always, if you want to sign up for the Ten on Tuesday email then please click here.