I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Ready or not, fall is bearing down on us here in Southeastern Massachusetts. Yesterday when I got up it was only 40°! Time to break down and try on those blue jeans. And time to get everything ready for fall – which leads me to this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: Ten Things You Do To Get Your Home Ready for Fall.
- Swap out the spring/summer curtains for the fall/winter curtains. I don’t actually have to do that this year since I never swapped out the curtains last spring as I was enjoying them so much. I will, however, be making new table runners and matts so that I have red/white ones to match the red/white curtains and blue/brown ones to match the blue/brown curtains. See above photo for reference.
- Wash the windows. I won’t have to do the living room and bedroom ones this year since they are new(!!!!) but the ones in the kitchen (and there are 6) must be done.
- Put away the pretty decorative candles I have on top of the woodstove. They can’t stay there once we start having fires.
- Speaking of candles, swap out the summer scents like Pineapple Cilantro and Paradise Spice for the fall scents like Macintosh and Buttercream.
- Purchase and plant mums. Of course, this means giving up on my beautiful summer container gardens and I’m not ready to do that just yet.
- Stack firewood on the deck. Much like my plants, I am not ready to put away the deck furniture and Dale just bought me an outdoor heater for my upcoming birthday so we’re going to have to put off firewood on the deck for a while. I hope.
- Get out the extra quilts, the flannel sheets and the down comforter. I do like how cozy all of that makes our bedroom feel.
- Finish up any decorating projects. We often have something going on and we also have an upcoming Halloween party so everything must be finished. Now. (I really hope Dale is reading this post today.)
- Decorate with pumpkins and gourds and fall leaves. Right now my house is in a transitional state – the sideboard in the dining room still has beach glass and shells in glass containers but the mantel is decorated with shed antlers and mini pumpkins and gourds.
- Clean and sort the sock drawer. Time to get rid of any socks with holes and make sure they are clean and ready to wear. I haven’t had to break out the wool yet but it’s coming, I can feel it.
That’s my list and, while I despise winter, I do enjoy fall so some of this actually makes me happy. I’d be happier, though, if I didn’t have to do any of this until, ohhhhhhh, November.
Did you write a post for today? Be sure and add your link below if you did. If you’d like to sign up for the weekly Ten on Tuesday email, please click here.