When last we posted for Ten On Tuesday, the topic was 10 Things I Love About Visiting the City. This week, as a yang to the yin, our topic is 10 Things I Love About Visiting the Country. As a caveat, I think it’s worth noting that “the country” may mean different things to different people.
- A sky full of stars. There’s nothing like looking up and seeing them all to make you feel small but in a really good way.
- Gardens. I love an old fashioned country garden with big blooms and roses and everything being just a little bit wild and overgrown.
- Water. I probably associate ponds and lakes more with the countryside but I do love the ocean best of all.
- Birds. Songbirds and big birds like hawks and eagles – the abound and they make me happy. Rare ones get checked off on my life list. Yes, I am that dork.
- Sounds. Cicadas and peepers, the hush of falling snow, the snap and pop of a campfire.
- Smells. Fresh mowed grass, wildflowers, and a pie cooling on the windowsill all come to my mind.
- Critters. Deer and elk, bunnies and little furry things. No snakes, please.
- Clothing. Blue jeans and cowboy boots, flannel shirts – I love that laid back style.
- Wide open spaces. Apologies to the Dixie Chicks.
- Cooking. Cast iron fry pans loaded with fried chicken and cornbread, stews and chili, mason jars full of lemonade.
I have to admit, this list was easier to compile than the one about the city. I guess I’m a country girl at heart and that’s okay with me so long as the city is still a quick trip. If you wrote a post for today please include your link below so we can all read it. If you want to subscribe to the Ten On Tuesday mailing list please click here.
***Please note, there will be no Ten On Tuesday on 8/18 and 8/25. This blogger will be on vay-cay-tion.***