I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Coming back to reality after a wonderful 2 week beach vacation is not for the faint of heart, let me tell you. It takes a fair amount of sucking-it-up just to get up early on a Monday morning, shower and dress and drive to work. I know you know what I mean. So Sunday afternoon, when I was unpacking and thinking about facing reentry, I started thinking about ways to find good in the every day stuff. By the time my self-imposed pep talk was done I had come up with a Ten On Tuesday topic: 10 Seemingly Ordinary Things That Bring You Joy.
- The sun on my face. While this is great when it’s at the beach, the truth is that walking out my back door to my car and feeling the sunshine (even in the winter) brings me joy.
- A kiss from Dale. Hello, goodbye, good morning, good night, or just because. He kisses me a lot, sometimes it’s a quick peck and sometimes it’s a bit, ummm, more amorous, but it always, always brings me joy.
- An ice cold beer on a hot afternoon. Joy in a glass, my friends.
- Home grown tomatoes. There’s even a song about the joy of home grown tomatoes.
- The sound of the ocean. Last time we were in Mexico Dale recorded the ocean at night on his phone. He plays it for me sometimes and I hear us laughing over the sound of the waves and it brings me right back to the joyful moment.
- Driving my Jeep with the doors off and the roof down. This always brings me joy. One day last week at the beach Dale and I were driving back and Brown Eyed Girl came on the radio. The song was the perfect length to take us from the beach parking lot to our driveway and there was so much joy in those few minutes.
- Laughing. Whether I’m the one laughing or I’m the one making someone else laugh, laughter makes me feel joy.
- Telling someone to have a great day. Do you do this? I do a lot at work and let me tell you – when you say it to someone else, and you say it like you really mean it, it actually comes true for you, too. There’s joy right there.
- Good soap. You can laugh at this if you want but good soap, the kind made by friends, is an ordinary thing and yet it brings me joy. I’m grateful that I can buy good soap and use it every day.
- Taking a photograph. I do this every day and capturing a moment, a smile, a beautiful sunset or an ordinary scene in my home, brings me joy. And then I get to share it and that brings even more joy.
Thinking about joy has made reentry so much easier! I hope you all have lots of ordinary things that bring you joy. Please share your blog post below so we can all ready about them. If you want to subscribe to the weekly Ten On Tuesday email please click here.