I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Around my house the 4th of July is a working holiday. Dale generally has 3 big jobs on this particular day – the parade in Plymouth in the morning, an outdoor concert at a VA hospital in the afternoon, and another outdoor concert at a wonderful setting in Sandwich. Even with all that work, though, we manage to celebrate the 4th of July. Here are our 10 Favorite Things about the Fourth of July.
- Fireworks. I mean, really, what’s not to love?
- Cook outs. Hamburgers, hot dogs and potato salad. Okay, maybe no potato salad this year since I’m kind of sick of it since we’ve got so much leftover from Dale’s party.
- Parades. I love a parade and the one in Plymouth is huge and in a beautiful spot by the ocean.
- Decorations. I love buntings and flags and hats and all things red-white-and-blue.
- The Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest. I always watch this if I stay home from the parade. So much fun!
- The Boston Pops concert on the Esplanade. I’ve never actually gone but I love to watch it on tv. Nobody plays Stars and Stripes Forever like the Boston Pops.
- Sparklers. They sure are fun to wave around once it gets dark.
- The Sandwich, MA annual boat parade on Shawme Pond. Small boats and floats and canoes and kayaks are decorated with paper lanterns. It’s a tradition that’s over 100 years old and it’s a real slice of Americana.
- Ice cream, especially if it comes from an Ice Cream Truck.
- Dale and the Duds. Sure, Dale has to work but the music is great and I get to go with him so it’s not all bad. Truthfully, it’s pretty fun.
Can you believe the 4th of July is almost here? What’s your favorite thing about this holiday?