I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Last week my dear husband came down with a cold. Poor guy. On the positive side, it got me to thinking about how to care for a cold and what I do when I get one. And here we are with 10 Things You Do To Care For Yourself When You Have a Cold.
- Stay home from work. I’m not proposing abusing sick time but when I’m sick I stay home. And when one of my employees is sick I want her to stay home, too. Keep those germs away from everyone!
- Drink tea. I love a steaming pot of tea when I’m sick. Coffee has no appeal to me when I’ve got a cold or flu but I crave the warmth and taste of tea.
- Cuddle under a quilt I have made. There are several in our living room and it’s such a comfort to be warm and cozy under a beautiful scrap quilt.
- Watch bad TV. It’s a guilty pleasure to watch soaps and Lifetime movies. The great thing about those is that you can doze off and wake up and not miss a blessed thing.
- Nap. The only time I can sleep during the day is when I’m sick. I certainly don’t enjoy being sick but I do enjoy the rare ability to nap.
- Snuggle with the cat. Mason is a big time snuggler, especially if I’m not moving much. He will sleep right by my side when I’m sick and it’s a beautiful thing.
- Knit something simple. If I’m really sick (like when I had pneumonia back in 2010) I have no desire to knit but if I’m mildly sick it’s a nice time to knit. The process of knitting relieves my stress and relaxes me. Sometimes I just hold my knitting in my lap and it makes me feel better. I know you guys get that.
- Eat homemade chicken soup. Studies show it really does have healing properties. I don’t know much about that but I do know that my chicken and rice soup is utterly delicious. Making that soup is the last thing I want to do if I’m sick, though, so I try and keep some in the freezer for these occasions.
- Use my neti pot. I feel silly when I use it but it really does help rinse away all that gunk in my sinuses.
- Take Nyquil at bedtime. Sleep . . . ahhhhh . . . sleep.
Here’s hoping we all stay healthy and none of us need to do any of this stuff this cold season!