I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Ten On Tuesday
When Dale and I flew into Chicago and then drove to Kalamazoo I had a playlist of songs for us to listen to. Songs about Michigan and Chicago, of course. And it got me thinking – there are songs about lots of places! and wouldn’t that make a great Ten on Tuesday topic?! So, here we go with 10 Songs About The Place Where I Live: Boston (and also) Massachusetts.
- Dirty Water by The Standells. This one says it all.
- I’m Shipping Up To Boston by Dropkick Murphys. Loud rock and roll, baby!
- Please Come to Boston by Dave Loggins. This covers a lot of geography but it starts in Boston.
- The M.T.A. Song aka Charlie on the MTA by The Kingston Trio. If you aren’t familiar with this one it’s definitely worth watching the video.
- Rock and Roll Band by Boston. A song from my youth and one of my all time favorite Boston songs – the band and the city.
- Tessie by Dropkick Murphys. Again, a video worth watching.
- Whoever’s In New England by Reba McEntire. Corny! But the video has some scenes from around the city.
- Sweet Baby James by James Taylor. It’s a stretch to make this about Boston but he does mention the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston in the 2nd verse.
- Roadrunner by The Modern Lovers. This one is new to me but how could I not include a song that mentions not only Stop & Shop but also Route 128?
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. It’s the unofficial theme song of the Boston Red Sox, in case you didn’t know.
I could have also included songs by J. Geils and Aerosmith since they are from here but I think that lists covers the best of Boston in music. I hope you had fun with this topic and wrote a post for today. Please include your link below so we can all check it out. As always, click here to subscribe to the Ten On Tuesday email list.
This Post Has 16 Comments
Great songs!! What a fun topic and I learned quite a few things about my city! Hahaha
🙂 I’m so glad you waited for this topic until I was back from my trip. 🙂 Great songs, Carole. And a really fun topic.
Ooooo! And I get to listen to them, too, I presume. “Please Come to Boston” always rips out a little piece of my heart.
This was tough but fun! Your list is perfect and I’m off to check out Roadrunner. Looking forward to getting some more listening ideas today. (And Reba…?)
Great topic! Total flashback with Please Come to Boston, Rock and Roll Band and Sweet Caroline. The best was The MTA – we all sang this when I was little and it fascinated me to picture it.
I’ll sum mine up with John Denver, especially Rocky Mountain High. I’ll be humming great songs all day. Thanks.
I thought this one was going to be impossible, but it turned out to be fun! I’m going to have a lot to listen to, starting with some rousing Dropkick Murphys!
Love this post…Boston will always be home for us! These songs conjure up such wonderful memories over the years…thanks for the post!
Great list and I’m sure you could go on and on with songs about MA and/or Boston.
I came up with two: The Beach Boys “Salt Lake City” and Judy Garland’s “I Lost my Sugar in Salt Lake City”.
Perfect list!!! I always get a touch of homesickness when I hear some of those songs.
“Please Come to Boston” has always been one of my favorites! And I love the band BOSTON! James Taylor… Neil Diamond… so much to love! Fun (if somewhat challenging) topic!!
And then there is always “Alice’s Restaurant”!
As a Massachusetts native, I love your list! I’m familiar with all but 2, but using your links. I’ll fix that later today. About the Kingston Trio and Charlie & the MTA…. I always wondered why, instead of bringing him sandwiches, his wife didn’t bring him a nickel – or put it in the bag with the sandwich!
Sweet Caroline is by far one of my Favorites. Have to say I’m not familiar with the others except #5. A great 10 on Tuesday suggestion.
@Susan – I used to always wonder why Charlie’s wife didn’t put a nickel in with his sandwich too. Maybe she liked having the house to herself! LOL
Two songs I’d put on a Boston list – She Comes from Boston by Kenny Chesney and Boston by Augustana.
The Reba song was new to me so thanks for sharing the video!
Who knew – Sweet Caroline and the Boston Red Sox??! but one of my favorite Neil Diamond songs so “ok”! I did have fun with this topic – thanks for another great week!
We have a new pastor in our church and she was raised in Boston. I’ll definitely share this with her. Maybe my brain is slow but coming up with Colorado or Denver songs is tough. Rocky Mountain High by John Denver and Colorado Christmas by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band are a couple.
Comments are closed.