There is no official topic for this week’s Ten on Tuesday (or there wasn’t late on Monday afternoon when I was trying to write this post) so Hillary and I came up with our own topic this week. Given our love of food and drink we’ve decided to list 10 Things You Love to Eat/Drink During The Holidays.
1. Swedish meatballs. I don’t know why I only make them at Christmas, since we love them so much!
2. Cookies. Polish Tea Cakes, gingerbread cookies, sugarcookies, spritz. Mmm.
3. Latkes. My mom’s best friend was Jewish and we often incorporated traditional Jewish foods at our holiday celebrations. Christmas dinner always included kugel and we always had potato pancakes at least once during the holiday season. I made them for Dale and Hannah the other night while we decorated the tree and they were a big hit.
4. Chinese food. I think it’s a regional tradition but Chinese food is a big deal around here on New Year’s Eve.
5. Speaking of New Year’s Eve – champagne. I love it.
6. Prime rib, roast turkey, baked ham, roast pork – Christmas dinner has to include some sort of “meat in a pan” as the main course. Truth be told, the beef is my favorite.
7. Chex Party Mix. I make a double batch every year.
8. Ribbon Candy. The best comes from Hammonds.
9. Fruitcake. I know it gets a bad rap but I’m convinced that’s because so many people have never had really good fruitcake. My friend Dinah makes the best and she shares. Hooray!
10. Peppermint Mocha Lattes. Yummy!
I just looked over my list and realized that none of these things are remotely healthy. Good thing the holidays only come once a year!