Sometimes I watch too much TV. Now granted, it’s very rare that I’m just watching TV as I’m usually also knitting or spinning or flipping through a magazine. But still. It’s a lot of TV at times. And I bet those of you with kids at home for the summer are getting tired of the TV being on all day. I’m hoping we will all be inspired by this week’s topic: 10 Things to Do Instead of Watching TV.
- Knit something complicated. Sock knitting is perfect for watching TV but shawl knitting or a complex cabled sweater pattern or some color work would be entertaining enough without the TV on as background noise.
- Read a book. Duh.
- Go outside and water the plants. Or pull some weeds. Or sit on the deck. Just go outside!
- Go for a bike ride. Dale just got a snazzy new bike (pictures coming soon) and he’s chomping at the bit for me to ride with him.
- Bake. Sure, it’s hot this time of year but some home baked goodies would be a welcome treat. And it takes less than an hour to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
- Play a game. We always do this on vacation but we should really do it more at home, too. Cards, Apples to Apples, Catch Phrase are just some of our favorites.
- Grab your camera and take some photos. You never know what will inspire you once you have the camera in your hand.
- Go to the library. This goes hand in hand with #2 but there may be things going on at your library like lectures and book clubs and special events. Take advantage of this stuff because it’s free!
- Write. It can be a diary entry or a blog post or a letter or a list but whatever it is, writing is good for your brain.
- Participate in an adult activity with your partner. Yeah, that one. Doing it yourself is way better than watching other people do it on TV.
So let’s turn off those TVs and have some fun!