Ten On Tuesday

I love when I get unsolicited topic suggestions for Ten on Tuesday. I particularly love it when they come from Kym, because she has good ideas. As you can probably surmise, she came up with this week’s topic, 10 Ways to Eat Pumpkin. Mmmm. I love pumpkin so here goes.

1. Pie. You knew this would be first, right? Plain old pumpkin pie is my very favorite of all pies.
  2. Speaking of pie, how about pumpkin whoopie pies? I made them last year and they were yummy.
  3. Bread. I like mine with raisins. It’s moist and delicious and it freezes well so you can make extra to have on hand for the holidays. It also makes amazing bread pudding.
  4. Pumpkin cake. I saw this recipe the other day and I’m considering making it for our Halloween party. The colors alone are fabulous but I bet it tastes wonderful, too.
  5. Soup. I haven’t actually made pumpkin soup myself but we had some really delicious butternut squash soup at a wedding a few weeks ago and I think pumpkin soup has to be pretty similar in taste.
  6. Muffins. I’ve heard you can make pumpkin muffins with just a can of pumpkin and a box of spice cake mix. I haven’t tried it yet but it sure sounds easy.
  7. Cheesecake. There are tons of recipes for pumpkin cheesecake, from fancy ones to no bake ones to swirl ones and they all make me swoon.
  8. Pumpkin Latte. Pumpkin, spices and caffeine make an excellent combination.
  9. Roasted pumpkin seeds. I like mine with salt and cayenne pepper.
  10. Pancakes. Or waffles. The addition of pumpkin makes them super moist and the perfect autumn breakfast.
How do you take your pumpkin?

25 Comments

1. Nichole Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 8:10 am

LoveLove!!

2. margene Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 8:21 am

And you can eat it just like squash with butter. If you buy a sugar pumpkin or a red pumpkin they have loads of sweet flavor. Wish you were here as I have a huge pie pumpkin and no desire to make pie!

3. Geri Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 8:23 am

Oh boy! I’ve bookmarked the pumpkin chocolate cake! The whoopie pies were amazing last year. Now I’m head for some serious trouble :)

4. Patty Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 8:57 am

LOOK AT THAT CAKE! Wow, thanks Carole, that is fantastic!

5. Robby Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Did my eyes deceive me? There were no Pumpkin Bars (with cream cheese icing) on that list! And curried pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread/muffins, an so on. Pie? Eh, for Thanksgiving a wee slice.

6. Cyndy Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 9:25 am

At the Fine Cooking website search for Brown Butter Pumpkin Layer Cake
    http://www.finecooking.com/. There are lots of other pumpkin recipes on the site.
    Free!

7. Heather Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I love this list!!!!!! We bought Ambercup and Delicata squash at a farm stand out in Hilllsboro, VA this weekend and tried that for a change-roasted in the oven YUM. Your pumpkin soup idea makes me think I might try a soup with the leftovers! Thanks!

8. Barbara-Kay Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Sebastian, our first meezer, loved pumpkin pie more than anything else. One time he got to a cooling pie while my back was turned and took a lick right from the middle of the pie! Since no one but family was going to eat the pie, I put a decorative plop of Cool Whip over his “divit” and served the pie.

Despite his fondness for my pumpkin pie, Sebastian lived to 18 years. Great memories!

9. Hillary Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I really thought that this list would be much harder. Apparently I like pumpkin more than I thought. You’ve got some good stuff on your list. Can’t wait to hear how the cake turns out.

10. Jo-Ann Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I tried the ‘box of cake mix & can of pumpkin’ muffins … delish! I made a batch & froze them so I can have a quick hot muffin for breakfast :) Great list … now I want pie!!

11. jill Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I like pumpkin any way I can get it! I love pumpkin bread with chocolate chips. Add curry to pumpkin for soup, yummo! And I’d love a slice of pie ala Carole! Happy Tuesday.

12. Susan Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

What about pumpkin butter?!! It’s incredibly yum! Pumpkin pie’s my fave too, so when I discovered pumpkin butter I was in heaven – delish on toast with cream cheese, kinda like eating pumpkin cheesecake! Plus it can be breakfast, lunch or snack! (Fave brand so far is Muirhead.) Great 10 on Tues, Carole!

13. Susan Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Oh, and did I mention that my dogs eat pumpkin every day of the year (2T with every meal). Great fiber for their digestion/regularity and they love it!

14. Chantelle Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

It’s amazing all of the different ways that something as seasonal as pumpkin can be eaten! I have never thought of putting cayenne on my pumpkin seeds… will have to try that when I roast some this weekend!

15. Kym Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Pumpkin pancakes! Oh, why have I never thought of this before! I want some. Right. Now.

16. Knitnana Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I love pumpkin pie and bread, but my absolute favorite way is the Weight Watchers recipe for pumpkin fluff! Wonderfully sinful tasting, and easy on the points!
    (((hugs)))

17. Kristi aka FiberFool Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Hmmm, homemade pumpkin pie! It has been a while. I can’t say I’ve mastered crust making yet *sigh*

18. Cookie Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

What no truffles? ;^)

19. bullwinkle Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

That cake looks amazing!!

20. Jo Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

A friend made pumpkin soup for a birthday lunch and it was fab. My husband loves pumpkin pancakes–thanks for reminding me that I need to make some soon!

21. Jen Said,

October 18, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Someone told me this past weekend that canned pumpkin is not really pumpkin at all – it’s SQUASH! Can this be true? Discuss.

22. Brenda Said,

October 19, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

I have a good friend that farms and gardens, and she has told me that allot of the “pie” pumpkins and other varieties that you would bake with are actually squash. Is “Pumpkin Crunch” popular where you live? It is a cross between pumpkin pie and that old dump cake recipe that went around years ago. You make it in a 9′ x 13″ cake pan, and first, you mix eggs, evaporated milk, canned pumpkin, etc. just as you would for a pie. You pour that into the pan, and then you spoon a dry yellow cake mix over it, and top that off with melted butter and pecans if you like them. If you google it, there are a million recipes for it out there, and it is one of my favs. If you are going to a potluck, it goes farther than pie does.

23. mary Said,

October 19, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

yummm…. and I’d add oatmeal and granola to your list. honestly, anything with pumpkin is a winner in my book!

24. Chrissie Said,

October 24, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

These pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin syrup are to die for:

25. Chrissie Said,

October 24, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

And don’t forget Pumpkin Martinis!

RSS feed for comments on this post