Ten On Tuesday

I like a warm bowl of homemade soup, especially when the temperatures dip below 30° like they do here in January. I made soup on Saturday and again yesterday and that got me to thinking about my favorite kind of soup. And that got me to decide that this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic would be 10 Favorite Soups.

1. Chicken and Rice. I sort of follow Pioneer Woman’s recipe but I don’t add the food coloring, green pepper or the pimientos and I do add celery and carrots.
  2. Minestrone. I use a recipe from a cookbook of my mom’s and it has beef that you cook for a long time before adding all the veggies. I love it with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
  3. Campbell’s Vegetable Beef. I know that canned soup is full of sodium and not all that healthy but if I’m going to have a can of soup it’s going to be this one.
  4. Panera Bread’s Forest Mushroom Soup. This is no longer on their menu but when they had it I was kind of addicted to it. Honestly it was more like gravy than soup and that may explain the irrational love I had for it.
  5. Split Pea with Ham. I realize this is not a favorite for a lot of people but I think it’s wonderful. I love how thick and hearty it is and think it should be kept pretty simple – peas, carrots and chunks of leftover ham. My friend Tom makes great Split Pea with Ham soup.
  6. Baked Potato Soup. I have actually never made this but I’ve had it in several restaurants and I always enjoy it. I like it to be creamy and thick and topped with bacon and cheese.
  7. Cream of Broccoli. I haven’t made it in ages but it’s a definitely a favorite.
  8. Fish chowder. I posted the recipe I use here a while back and it’s still one we all really love.
  9. French Onion Soup. Dale loves it when I make this and it’s pretty simple. It takes a while to caramelize all those onions but then it’s easy as can be. And really, it’s an excuse to eat lots of Parmesan cheese.
  10. Tomato soup. The canned kind is just fine with me and I like it made with milk. It’s best when served with a grilled cheese sandwich.
What else is there to say except . . . soup’s on!

27 Comments

1. Geri Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 6:19 am

Soups! My favorite winter lunch! Since my retirement a week doesn’t go by without making soup. Have to chuckle that my comfort lunch is Campbell’s tomato soup with grilled cheese :)

2. Katie K Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 6:27 am

I made Mark Bittman’s tomato soup recipe last night and we had it with open-faced tuna melts. Last week I made wild mushroom chowder with some oyster mushrooms we found in Central Park. I also like to make egg lemon soup. My mother used to make wonderful split pea with ham and beef vegetable soups. I wish I had her recipes.

3. mary Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 6:27 am

yum! and your fish chowder recipe looks delicious!

4. Dinah Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Home made clam chowder, thick and full of great stuff! Another favorite is turkey soup made from left over Christmas dinner! Easy to freeze and a great way to have the holidays well into February.

5. Heather Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Great list! I’ve been on a soup kick too.

6. margene Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:06 am

I’m a big fan of soup! Everything on your list sounds yummy! I love a good veggie soup, like minestrone with lots of flavor. I’m thinking of checking out summer soups, which use fresh, light ingredients. We have a huge garden, after all.

7. jill Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Love soup. I make a delicious taco soup full of yummy beans. Potato Corn Chowder, Indian Orange Lentils with Spinach, and Roasted Sweet Potato with Avocado cream are my family’s current favorites. We eat a lot of soup! Happy day, Carole!

8. Patty Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:28 am

That soup in the picture looks scrumptious! And…I’m going to have to start looking for Baked Potato Soup!

9. Kym Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:31 am

YUM! That’s all I have to say about this week’s topic. (Oh — and I’m going to give your fish chowder a try really soon. And — Tom would be right there with you on the split pea and ham!)

10. Kim Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:51 am

We had homemade soup last night….yum. I love Broccoli soup too. :-)

11. vanessa Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 8:56 am

panera has a really good french onion and broccoli cheese!

12. Robby Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Soup is a winter time staple here, too. Every Sunday nite, at least. A recent addition to the list of clear favorites is Tex-Mex Taco soup, my rif on an Emeril recipe. And chili. Can’t overlook chili! Making minestrone, today, in fact.

13. Beverly Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I love split pea soup, too. My grandfather always used to save ham bones for my mom to make her pea soup. I need to find a vegetarian version that stands up to my mom’s version!

14. Mary K. in Rockport Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Panera, Panera, Panera — which our local supermarket has recently begun to carry, so everyone can have his/her personal favorite. Mine is broccoli cheddar, and it would be safe to say I am addicted.

15. Beth Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Yes, what does Panera put in their soups that is so addictive?! Maybe part of it is being able to walk in and have a hot bowl of soup in an instant. Wish I could have tried their Forest Mushroom soup…

16. meg Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

Soup is almost always my lunch throughout winter! And your number 10? YES, and ALWAYS with grilled cheese – especially on a grey, sleety day.

17. Susan Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

I’m with Dale on the French Onion! Have you tried Barefoot Contessa’s Butternut Apple (recipe is free on Foodnetwork.com)? It’s very delicious, high fiber, low fat and very hearty/satisfying. The curry adds nice heat which I love, but it can be reduced or eliminated if desired.

18. Jo-Ann Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

A couple of my favorites are chicken tortilla soup, butternut squash soup, and (horrors) the cabbage soup from the cabbage soup diet! I’m a huge fan of soup in general, and will eat it any chance I get. Alas, my family is not so enamored of it, so we don’t eat it often at home. And can we just all agree that if it is going to be clam chowder (or any kind of chowder) … it MUST be creamy, that Manhattan stuff is not chowder!!

19. Vicki Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

YUM!! Great topic, Carole!
    I’m lovin’ all the participants’ soup thumbnails on this post.

20. elizabeth Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

Yum! My favorite soups are Curried Red Lentil and Peanut Butter Soup!

21. Kathy B Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

Now Im hungry….. well I am usually hungry. I have to try to make onion soup again. IT was delish last time. I need carbs with my soups…..as in warm homemade bread carbs….

22. Dianne Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Tomato soup and grilled cheese, seems like this is comfort food for so many people! Great list!

23. Lauren Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

I love your list. Your discontinued Panera soup reminded me of my favorite discontinued Panera soup – the Moroccan Tomato Lentil. I wish they’d bring it back.

24. Erin @ Wild Whispers Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

mmmmm… the soup looks great! I have bookmarked your list and will definitely refer back to it! Thanks for sharing!

25. Kate/Massachusetts Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Next time you feel like making pea soup, why don’t you try a French Canadian yellow pea soup? It’s one of my favorites. It’s similar to green pea but milder and sweeter. Here is a typical one that is basically what I make:

Also, next time you make chicken and rice, try substituting arborio rice for long grain rice. It makes the soup nice and thick. I cook the rice separately in lots of water, then drain and add to the soup. It’s a nice change!

I’ve never had Panera soup…guess where I’m headed for lunch one of these days? lol ‘Gotta check it out!

26. Phyllis Said,

January 10, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

It is so interesting to see the regional variations in favorites. Here in Louisiana gumbo is the favorite far and away, in all its lovely permeatations–seafood, shrimp, chicken and sausage, turkey, etc. My other favorites mostly come from regional cookbooks: taco soup ((ridiculously easy and so good), mushroom soup, 9 bean soup ( only problem is the 9 bean mixture makes 9 pounds of mix! this of course makes it good for gift giving,though),gazpacho from Southern Living, and the black bean soup from the Silver Palate cookbook. Thanks for the wonderful topic! I’m gonna cook me some soup as soon as the temperature drops below 80–maybe tomorrow, who knows.

27. Maryse Said,

January 11, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Ooh I love soup. But French onion soup needs gruyere or Swiss. Not Parmesan!!!!!

RSS feed for comments on this post