If you’ve been around this blog for a while (and I thank you if you have!) then you know that I adore summer and I’m just not a big fan of winter. I don’t like the cold, I don’t like the gray and brown landscape, and I don’t like the darkness that comes so early. Right about now – even though the days are getting longer – I start to get really sick of winter and that is what has prompted this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: 10 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs.
- Take a vacation to somewhere warm. Of course, you still have to come back but a week in the sun could truly improve things.
- Decorate your house. It can get kind of bleak when those Christmas decorations get put away so why not put some up for Valentine’s Day? That photo up there is the fireplace in my office at the Council on Aging and I love that our volunteers have decorated the place with pretty paper hearts.
- Snuggle by the fire. It’s true that I don’t like the shorter days of winter but I do love that the cold and dark drives Dale into the house (and away from his beloved garage) earlier and that provides excellent opportunities for snuggling together.
- Go to the movies. I love the movies and it’s Oscar season so what better way to forget the cold and dreary landscape than by immersing yourself in something lovely at the theater.
- Treat yourself to a pedicure. I’m very faithful about getting pedicures when it’s sandal weather but in the winter I often neglect my feet. It’s soothing, though, to have that little bit of pampering this time of year.
- Revel in wool. We are knitters, after all, and this is the season when all of our hand knit wool items are so greatly appreciated. Wrap yourself in a beautiful soft wool shawl and sigh with pleasure at the warmth.
- Get a car with heated seats. There is nothing better than one of those ass warming seats when the temps are frigid.
- Go work out. Seriously. The gym will be warm and steamy and you will feel so much better after a good cardio work out that you might even forget about hating winter. Okay, that’s a stretch but you will feel better.
- Listen to music that reminds you of summer. I put on my Jimmy Buffet playlist last Saturday night and I have to say that belting out “Boat Drinks” along with Jimmy really improved my outlook.
- Embrace the season. I know this is surprising, coming from me, but the truth of the matter is that winter is here and it’s going to be here for a while. I might as well accept it and enjoy it because complaining about it isn’t going to change anything!
I’m looking forward to reading how you all beat the winter blahs. Click the “Add Your Link” button below to link to your blog post. And click here if you want to sign up to receive each week’s Ten on Tuesday topic via email.