Ten On Tuesday

Before we get to our regular Ten on Tuesday post, I have some housekeeping to do. By that I mean, I need to tell you who won Amy Herzog’s book Knit to Flatter.

I printed out all of the comments and then cut all those comments into strips. I also made an extra comment strip for each of the bloggers who linked to their Ten on Tuesday posts. My basket was very full when I closed my eyes, reached in, and pulled out:
Kat from Purl of a Girl! Congratulations to Kat and thank you all for participating in the contest.

Okay, onward. Since we’re already on the topic, this week, let’s talk about the thing that brings us all together: knitting! Here are the Ten Reasons Why I Knit:

1. I enjoy it. This is the obvious one, right?
  2. It keeps my brain engaged. Getting completely absorbed in a complicated knitting project is a great way to work the brain.
  3. It can be easy. There’s nothing like a tried and true pattern that you’ve knit over and over again.
  4. It can also be challenging. Then again, there’s nothing like a challenging lace shawl, too.
  5. It passes the time. I never mind waiting at the doctor’s office or waiting in line or waiting in the car because I always have something to do while I’m waiting.
  6. It reduces stress. There’s nothing quite as soothing as endless stockinette when I’m stressed.
  7. Hand knits make great gifts. I’m not someone who knits for Christmas but I believe very strongly in knitting for birthdays.
  8. I never get bored. There are so many patterns and so many beautiful yarns out there and there’s always something new to knit.
  9. It keeps my hands occupied so I’m not, say, eating when I’m not hungry.
  10. I love handknit things. Sweaters, socks, shawls, you name it, I love them all!
No matter how busy I am or how tired I am, there’s always a bit of knitting in my day. The bottom line is that knitting makes me happy. If you wrote a Ten on Tuesday post this week be sure and include your link below. And if you want to receive the Ten on Tuesday topic via email on Monday morning then please click here to subscribe.

Comments

Yup. I totally agree with your list. There is one more thing for me…our Saturday morning Knit and Purl gets me out of the house and visiting with new friends. :)

agree with all of it. I honestly can’t think of any other craft that satisfies quite like knitting does. great topic!!

3. Gale (she shots sheep shots) says

Yes, all of the above, especially the waiting! And the immediate gratification of seeing a project grow (note I didn’t say finished).

My list could have gone on and on. One thing you mentioned that I did not was the feeling you get when knitting with someone else in mind. The mindful and loving shawls I’ve knit for friends who need strength, love and support have created some of my best knitting memories. Great topic, Carole!

5. Kris says

I agree, especially with #2. some days, I really need to absorb myself in a good complicated fair isle or lace pattern.

Great topic! I agree with the first commenter about friends made through knitting. In fact, a group of us are meeting this morning (the joys of retirement)! One you did not mention ( why would you) is that it’s a great help in beating an addiction. I took up knitting with a passion over 30 years aglo after deciding that smoking is stupid!

I’m working on a prayer shawl right now for our church ministry. It’s been a soothing knit. I always have a pair of socks going and something more challenging; right now I’m tangled up in some lace. What I love about knitting is that it’s reflective. When my brain is going too fast and I feel overwhelmed, some time with the needles take me out of my tailspin. Sometimes, just the anticipation of knitting time can calm me. I just wished I catalog my projects better on ravelry. I never seem to get anything photographed.

Here’s to your 10! Plus, I maintain that a solid edging of yarns around the walls provides insulation from the cold in winter and the heat in summer. (My husband disagrees…..)

Great topic, Carole!! It’s a fun read… lots of similarities, of course, but we all express ourselves so differently… sort of like our knitting.
    😉

Today I wish I had time to comment on everyone’s post. but I am on limited internet time.
    Loved this prompt.

What Luxury bag does Street Chic queen Kate Moss took to your streets?You of substantial sensitivity to your style have to have heard that Longchamp with Kate Moss launched Kate Moss For Longchamp series of luxury bag.

I cannot believe I missed this one. A great list. I definitely use my knitting as a way to be more calm during any period of waiting, especially doctor’s visits, and the time on the T.