As some of my friends have said recently, this winter sure has teeth. There have been a couple of significant snow storms, there has been ice and frigid temperatures and bone chilling winds. We have had several days were it has been colder here than in Alaska. That’s right – Alaska. And you know, if I wanted to live on the frozen tundra I would move there but I’d rather stick it out here where our winters are generally tolerable. Notice I said tolerable and not enjoyable. Nevertheless, I’m all about finding joy so today our Ten on Tuesday topic is 10 Things I Like About Winter. Let’s hope I can come up with ten.
- Snow days. These are usually rare although this year we’ve already had 2. And, since I work for town government, I don’t have to make them up the way the school employees do. Winning!
- Nesting. Cold winter days are great for lots of hanging out with my man.
- Playing cards. Right now we’re very into Phase 10 but usually it’s rummy. We do play cards in the summer but definitely more so in the winter.
- Comfort food. Soup, stew, roasted meats – anything that cooks long and slow is so delicious this time of year.
- Reading by the fire. I do love our woodstove and the warmth and glow it gives to a room.
- Snuggling under the covers on weekend mornings. ‘Nuff said.
- Occasional mild days. You know it’s winter when a 40° feels warm! It would be great for a run outside, too, if only the sidewalks weren’t covered in snow and ice.
- More light. Sure, it’s cold light but I still appreciate that the days are longer.
- Scented candles. I light them at 3pm if I’m home.
- Watching movies. Oscar season is upon us, my friends, and it’s time to watch All.The.Movies.
How about that – I did it. And it wasn’t even all that hard, either. But still – how many days until spring??
If you wrote a blog post for today’s topic please click the button at the end of this post to add your link. And if you’d like to receive the weekly Ten on Tuesday email then click here to sign up.