It’s been a while since we had a Ten on Tuesday topic that has to do with food. And, next to topics about books, food topics are pretty much the most popular ones we do. I learned so much about cheese at that cheese class we went to a few weeks ago – I discovered new cheeses and let me tell you, I have spent more time in the gourmet cheese section of the grocery story lately than I ever have before. In case you can’t tell, this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic is my 10 Favorite Kinds of Cheese.
- Fresh mozzarella. Also included here, burrata. My temptation is to eat it like an apple but I resist.
- Washed Rind cheeses of any variety. This is the number one cheese I discovered in that class. The one I loved best is called Oma and it’s made by the Von Trapp Family and I think the only place I can get it is Whole Paycheck, which I try to avoid. The good news is that I have also discovered other washed rind cheeses that I like. They are stinky and soft and absolutely wonderful.
- Blue Cheese. We have a local one called Great Blue Hill that’s very good. It’s strong and nicely marbled with mold and it’s absolutely amazing when stuffed into a green olive and put in a dirty martini.
- Cabot Cloth Covered Cheddar. It’s pricey but worth every single penny. As the cheese guru said at the class we took: if you don’t like this cheese the problem is you, not the cheese.
- Cheese Spread from the Red Coach Grille. This is a throwback to my childhood. I have found halfway decent substitutes but none are exactly the same.
- Brie. Preferably warmed and topped with cranberries.
- Cracker Barrel Aged Reserve. Also a throwback to my childhood, this is the one my mom always served on Sunday afternoons before dinner. She topped it with sliced raw onions and there was always a tin of smoked oysters on the side. The crackers: Sociables, of course.
- Swiss. My favorite on a sandwich.
- Pecorino Romano. The best for grating over pasta!
- Pepperjack. Nothing fancy about pepperjack but I love it’s spiciness.
The truth is that I like pretty much all cheese, including American in a grilled cheese sandwich, and pimiento cheese spread on celery. Cheese, glorious cheese!
If you wrote a post for today please add your link below. If you want to subscribe to the Ten on Tuesday email list please click here.