Today’s Ten on Tuesday topic comes from Kym and I hope you will find it funny. At least, I mean it to be funny. The prompt is, 10 Words You Use When You Can’t Swear. As in, you’re at work or with children or just in a place where it would be inappropriate to, say, drop an f-bomb. Now, I wouldn’t say I swear like a truck driver but I have been known to express my feelings with a few choice expletives mixed in to really get my point across. Here is a list of the words I tend to use when those other words would get me into trouble.
- Friggin’, freakin’, frickin’. Probably my substitutes of choice, right there.
- Sugar. As in, oh sugar. Honestly, though, the real word is more likely to slip out. Particularly if I have just dropped something on my foot.
- Shut the front door. One of my favorites. Honestly, I think it’s better than the expression it is meant to replace.
- Geez/Jeez. Also Geez Louise.
- Son of a nutcracker. You’ve all seen Elf, right?
- Bites. I use this in place of sucks because I just hate that expression although I don’t particularly consider it a swear.
- Arse. It’s much classier to call someone a pain in the arse than it is to use the other word. There are times, though, when asshat is my word of choice.
- Crap. Holy Crap. One of my all time favorites, I must admit.
- Heck. Okay, not really. I would probably just say hell but I’ve got a list to write and I’m coming up with ten no matter what.
- For cryin’ out loud. Usually said with the word Oh in front. Oh, for cryin’ out loud. Are you kidding me? The tone of voice is key for this one.
And there you have it. I’m hoping you all are more creative than I have been with this list – perhaps I will be expanding my vocabulary! If you wrote a post for today’s topic please include a link to it below. Click here to subscribe to the weekly Ten on Tuesday email.