When I was a kid I went to sleep away summer camp. The first year I went I was terrified and begged my mother not to make me go. And then when they came to pick me up after a week I hid behind a tree because I didn’t want to go home. So, I guess you could say that I loved going to camp and that go me thinking that this could be a Ten On Tuesday topic: 10 Things I loved About Summer Camp.
- The cabins. They had bunk beds and held 8 kids and a counselor. They were rustic and small and absolutely perfect.
- The counselors. Good, good young men and women. I can still picture many of them even after all of these years.
- Arts and crafts. I remember learning to macrame (hey, it was the 70s) and make God’s Eyes with yarn and Popsicle sticks.
- Singing. I can’t sing well but I love to do it anyway. And the camp songs we sang were so much fun.
- Campfires. We always had one on the last night of camp and the girls all cried and it was cheesy. But awesome.
- Special Theme Days. I think there were 2 each week and they made everything extra extra fun.
- Meal time. The food at my camp was very good and we ate family style. I loved sitting around the table with my friends, laughing and sharing stories while we ate.
- Archery. Like singing, I wasn’t very good at this but I enjoyed it anyway.
- Skits. They were often silly and sometimes stupid but they made us laugh.
- Care packages and mail from home. My mom was fabulous about sending goodies and treats in the mail.
Did you go to summer camp? If you wrote a post for today I hope you’ll add your link below so everyone can find it and read it. And, as always, if you’d like to join in the Ten On Tuesday fun, please click here to subscribe to the weekly email.