I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
The topic for this week’s Ten on Tuesday is 10 Favorite Children’s Books. I suppose it’s a little ironic that I’m choosing this topic now that immediately after my baby graduates from high school. I must be feeling sentimental and I’m remembering all those years of reading to her. In any case, here we go.
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I never saw the movie because I thought it looked silly but I did love this book.
- Charlotte’s Web. My teacher read this to us in 3rd grade and I never forgot it.
- Where the Sidewalk Ends. A book that makes poetry fun for kids – hooray!
- Goodnight, Moon. I read this to Hannah so many times I had it memorized. It was her favorite for a really long time.
- The Polar Express. Here’s a case where I honestly felt the movie was just as good as the book.
- The Velveteen Rabbit. Truly a favorite of mine since my own childhood.
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Another of Hannah’s favorite pictures books. Honestly, she loved the ones that made her laugh.
- Chrysanthemum. And also Owen and Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse. All picture books by Kevin Henkes and all favorites that I read to Hannah.
- The Little House books. All of them – I read them over and over when I was a kid.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Eric Carle is just fantastic.
That was fun – and fast, too. Makes me want to go hang out in the Children’s Room at the library for a while.