I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
The weather this past weekend would seem to indicate that summer is upon us here in Southeastern Massachusetts. It was warm and humid and I loved every minute of it. It’s the kind of weather that makes you want to get out of the kitchen and cook on the grill. You have to have something to go with that stuff that you grilled, though, and I think the perfect thing is a salad. So let’s talk about 10 Things To Put in a Salad . . .
- Lettuce. We might as well start with the obvious. I prefer to stay far away from iceberg, though. I love romaine and I love early spring greens the best.
- Tomatoes. Home grown is my preference but I’ll settle for store bought if they are little cherry tomatoes. I love how they burst in your mouth.
- Cucumbers. Again, make mine fresh from the garden.
- Carrots and celery. It’s nice to have some crunch in there.
- Onion. Only a little and I prefer vidalia.
- Chick peas. They add lots of fiber and some interesting texture.
- Hard boiled egg. I love the color and it’s nice to add some protein to your salad, too.
- A little cheese – not too much but some shredded cheddar is good. Or Feta if you are making a Greek salad.
- Black olives. Straight out of the can is good but go with kalamata if you are craving Mediterranean flavors.
- Croutons. I love the big ones made from dark rye bread, they add awesome crunch, texture and flavor.
This was easy and I never even got to talk about adding grilled meat, chicken or shrimp, some nuts, and types of salad dressings. I think those could be in a post all by themselves.
Bring on summer! Bring on the salad!