I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Last week our CSA share included a beautiful box of ripe red tomatoes. I love local tomatoes very much and honestly won’t eat a tomato that isn’t a locally grown one. Those pale red things in the grocery stores in January? Blech. All this is to say that I was thrilled to get that box of tomatoes and I am enjoying the heck out of them. And that brings me to this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: 10 Favorite Ways to Eat Tomatoes.
- Sliced up with salt and pepper. This is the purest way to enjoy a local beauty, that’s for sure.
- In a salad. I’m all about the salads these days, doncha know.
- A BLT sandwich. Sure, the bacon is good but for me it’s really about that thick slice of tomato. And perhaps the mayo.
- A grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Dale makes these for me and I love them.
- Caprese salad. Or Caprese sticks. The combination of tomato, basil and mozzarella just can’t be beat.
- Bruschetta. I made some on Sunday night with tomato, artichokes and feta and it was deeeeelicious.
- Stuffed! I like them stuffed with spinach and parmesan cheese or chicken salad or tuna salad. The tomato is a great vehicle for those fillings.
- On a grilled pizza. I’ve only started experimenting with grilling pizza this year but I really love it, especially with sliced fresh tomatoes, olive oil, and a bit of goat cheese.
- Gazpacho! Bev shared her recipe with me and I’m anxious to try it out.
- Salsa. Chop up some tomatoes along with a bit of onion, cilantra and jalapenos and it’s fresh and delicious!
How do YOU like to eat tomatoes?