I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
We had a Father’s Day Cook Out on Sunday. It was a traditional afternoon of hanging out in the yard, visiting and catching up, eating hamburgers and hot dogs, and playing games. Now, if I’m being completely honest, when it comes to most outdoor games I prefer to sit and watch and take photographs. And drink beer. This new active lifestyle that I am embracing, however, dictates that I need to get up and move frequently, though, and that’s why I’ve come up with this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic: 10 Favorite Backyard Games.
- The Bean Bag Game. Some people call it “corn hole” but not us. My grandfather made our set way back in the 1970s and we still use it all the time.
- Ladder Croquet. Competition gets fierce around our house when this game is played.
- Horseshoes. Yes, we have horseshoe pits in our yard. I stink and Dale has to give me a 15 point handicap just to make it fair but I still have lots of fun with it.
- Whiffle Ball. Simple and fun – until someone gets hit with a ball, anyway.
- Football. It’s the perfect way to burn up some energy during half time of those fall football games.
- Bocce. We used to have a set and we played it frequently.
- Badminton. Of course, this one requires setting up a net if you’re going to play correctly but it’s fun.
- Frisbee. Another one that’s simple and fun – until someone gets hit with the frisbee, anyway.
- Giant Jenga. We do not have this but I want it. Did you hear that, Dale?
- Toss Across. Anyone else remember this? I loved it when I was a kid!
You may have noticed that I did not list croquet. Sorry, Kym, but I just don’t love that one. If I ever come to your house on Father’s Day, though, I promise to do my best for my team! How about you all? What are your favorite backyard games? If you wrote a Ten on Tuesday post be sure and click the link below so we can all come read it. And if you want to receive the Ten on Tuesday topic every Monday, just click here to subscribe.