So when I said I was ending the Three On Thursday link up . .…
As much as I love the holiday season – and I do!! – it’s hectic. And my to do list is as long as my arm right now. There’s shopping and baking and wrapping and merrymaking and it’s good. But hectic. And so, today, you get a list of the things I’m thinking about because that’s about all the mental energy I have for the blog right now.
- I made those Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting last Saturday. They were very very good. The recipe is from Tide & Thyme and you can find it here.
- Speaking of last Saturday, it was the Kiwanis Club’s 31st Annual Christmas on the Common. As Immediate Past President of our club I was chairman of this event. It was a lot of planning and preparation and work – not just on my part but also on the part of the various committee chairs and club members. And it rained. It didn’t downpour but it was soggy and drizzly and not at all what I had hoped the day would be like. Still, the craft fair was great and the food vendors were happy. The heated tent was rocking with our very own local boy band and lots of lots of people came to see the dancing schools and school band perform. The best part, though? When it was over.
- Yesterday I shared the new JOY! sign I bought at Target. It’s on my mantel and I love that it’s red and that it represents my One Little Word for 2014 as well as my feeling about this time of year. I’m starting to think about my One Little Word for 2015, though, and I’ve had lots of words rolling around in my head. I’d like to go with shine but I feel like it’s over used and not at all original. I have also debated light, peace, give, play and create. Right now create is the front runner but I’m not sure if it has chosen me or if I have chosen it. And I definitely want my word to choose me. So I’m waiting.
- A few weeks ago I read an interesting and disturbing article about food waste. As someone who manages a food pantry, I am acutely aware of the widespread problem of food insecurity and the juxtaposition of food waste and food insecurity is not lost on me. I tell myself we don’t throw out a lot of food at our house but I think, in reality, that we do. So as we move into 2015 I’m going to try very hard to be aware of the food that we have, to not overpurchase, and to use what we have before it spoils.
- I, along with 1.5 million other people, have been completely taken by the Serial podcast. It’s fascinating and intriguing and I absolutely love the theme music, too. This past week I discovered the Slate Serial Spoiler Specials podcast – a podcast about a podcast, if you will. I love listening to this because it’s like having a conversation with a bunch of people about what I just heard on Serial. So, do you think Sarah Koenig is going to drawn any definitive conclusions about this case? Or do you think it’s going to end on a we-will-never-know note?
- My friend Bob has been in remission from his stage IV pancreatic cancer since early last September. Today he is going in for a PET scan to see how things are. I’m nervous and scared and really really hoping that things are still good. I’d appreciate any good thoughts, prayers and healing energy you could send his way. Thanks.