Are you superstitious at all? I am, at least a little bit. And, while I realize this list would have been more appropriate last Tuesday (it was March 15th, the Ides of March) I think it’s still intersting to consider the 10 Superstitions I Believe In. (and can I just interject, I know it’s a myth that it’s wrong to end a sentence with a preposition but I’m having a hard time letting go of that faux grammar rule.)
- Bad things come in threes. This seems to be particularly true in the case of death.
- When you spill salt some throw over your left shoulder into the face of the devil. I absolutely do this any time I spill salt.
- Don’t open an umbrella in the house. Serious business right there.
- Knock on wood. Sometimes wood isn’t around and then you have to knock on formica. Just sayin.
- Boyfriend sweater. He gets nothing until there’s a ring.
- Having an itchy nose means you’re going to get in a fight. My childhood librarian taught me this one and I’ve believed it ever since.
- Don’t step on a crack. My mom has been gone a long time now (18 years yesterday, in fact) but I still avoid cracks to protect her back.
- Make a wish on an eyelash. I can’t remember if they ever come true but I try anyway.
- Double yolk eggs means someone is going to die. It also means you have young chickens so I don’t freak out too much over this one.
- Wish on a wishbone. Dale and I always save the wishbones from turkeys and chickens and we make a wish. Since we both always wish for the same thing we both always win.
I think these are pretty mainstream superstitions – I’m looking forward to reading your posts and seeing if you have some that are more unique. Please add a link to your blog post below. As always, click here if you want to receive the weekly Ten On Tuesday email.