Mother’s Day is coming right up and I’m thinking about (and missing, of course) my mom. So many of my memories of her are tied up with food and holidays, happy times around a big table or quiet times with just the two of us, but always with something delicious to eat. Today’s Ten On Tuesday topic fits right into those memories as I’m thinking about 10 Favorite Foods My Mom Used to Make.
- Fried chicken. Hands down, the best fried chicken of any I’ve ever had.
- Roast chicken. My favorite Sunday dinner.
- Lasagna. She was English but you’d never know it by her lasagna.
- Pie. Her pies were works of art and believe me when I tell you that mine pale in comparison.
- Pot roast and gravy. The ultimate comfort food.
- Greek lamb. Braised low and slow and served with stewed tomatoes, green beans and rice pilaf.
- Clam chowder. I never did learn her secret for making it so creamy and delicious.
- Potato salad. Mine is close. Not quite as good as hers. But close.
- Fried dough. This was an occasional Sunday night supper and it was fabulous. I used to poke a hole in mine and fill it with jam and it was just like a jelly donut.
- Meatloaf. She always served it with baked potato and carrots and always on Thursday nights because she had Brownies on Thursdays and she could make this ahead of time and have my brother put it in the oven so it would be ready when we got home. I got sick of it because we had it so regularly but I’d love the chance to have it again, I can tell you that.
What favorite foods did your mom make? If you’ve written a post for today please include your link below.
If you’d like to subscribe to the weekly Ten On Tuesday email please click here.