Newsflash – we have new neighbors! The house across the street from us was vacant for quite some time but this winter a friend of ours bought it and flipped it and a very nice young couple moved in over the weekend. I’ve been thinking of ways I can make them feel welcome and I decided to make it this week’s Ten On Tuesday topic. And so, here is my list of 10 Ways to Welcome Someone New to the Neighborhood.
- Wave! Seriously, just wave and smile. That’s actually what I did on Saturday and next thing I knew we were chatting.
- Bring them something sweet to eat. Bake cookies or brownies and share.
- Bring them a plant. This time of year it would be appropriate for something outside but a houseplant would also be thoughtful.
- Bring them flowers. Worried that they may not have a green thumb? A bouquet – from your own garden if you can – would certainly brighten up a new home.
- Bring them a candle. We have a local candle company and I think it’s great to not only support a local business but to also introduce our new neighbors to this great product that’s available in our town.
- Put together a bundle of take out menus from local restaurants. Our options are pretty limited but I know if I were knew somewhere I’d want to know which pizza place was best.
- Put together information on local stuff like trash and recycling pick up, library location and hours, town hall location and hours, etc.
- Write down your full name and phone number and give it to them. I know I don’t always catch names and having it written down would be helpful. Plus, phone numbers are so useful if you get in a jam and need to give a ringy dingy.
- Invite them over for a drink or a dinner. Moving is stressful and busy time but once they’ve settled in it’s a great time to have them over and sit down together and really get to know each other. Make sure you tell them that they don’t have to bring a thing.
- Wave, smile and say hello every time you see them. Let them know but this simple gesture that you are glad they are there.
What are your ideas for making someone feel welcome in a new neighborhood? I’m excited to try all of these on my new neighbors!
If you wrote a post for today please include your link below so everyone can read it. As always, if you’d like to join us by receiving the weekly Ten On Tuesday topic via email please click here to subscribe.