Ready for a brain dump? Let’s go.
- I read yesterday that Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest reading day of the year. Seriously? Who has time to read on this day? Men, I bet. And then I thought, well, it’s probably connected to the traveling that happens. If you’re in a car or a bus or plane I guess you might be reading.
- Speaking of Thanksgiving travel, the traffic people on the news are as pumped about these reports as the weather people are about a gigantic storm. C’mon, people. It’s traffic and it’s not that exciting and certainly doesn’t warrant extended coverage.
- We’ve reinstated a weekly dinner night with the kids. This was something we did when Patrick was younger but we’d gotten out of the habit in recent years. Now that we have Jackie we’ve started this up again on Tuesday nights. Can I tell you, though? I can’t believe I used to cook dinner for 6 every night and I’m definitely out of practice when it comes to feeding a small crowd on a week night. So far I’ve made chicken and rice, baked ziti, white bean chicken chili, American chop suey, and roast beef. Really, though, it’s not about the food, it’s about gathering around the table and visiting and, (if I’m being completely honest) holding that sweet little baby so that his mama can get a hot meal.
- Speaking of Jackie, I’m using him as leverage to convince Dale that we should get an artificial tree. That might not make sense to you but here’s my approach: “Dale! Look at how Jackie loves to look at the twinkle lights! Just think how he’s going to love the tree! Oh, but how sad that he won’t get to really enjoy the tree more than a couple of times since we put it up so late. That’s a shame, really, because look at his little eyes taking this all in. Hey! If we got an artificial tree we could put it up right away.” Apparently this genius approach has worked because I am now researching artificial trees. Got tips? Share them for me, would you? Because this is overwhelming.
- That’s all I’ve got for today. Happy Thanksgiving Eve!