I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Earth Day is Thursday and in honor of that this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic is 10 Ways to Be Green. I think we’ve done variations on this before but you never know when someone will come up with a new idea that might make all the difference to someone else. So, while I may risk repeating some of these things, it’s for a good cause.
- Use reusable bags at the grocery store. I have some from Winn Dixie that I love to confuse just to confuse our local grocery store clerks.
- Get yourself a Sigg bottle. We all have them and use them constantly.
- Recycle everything possible. Our town trash is “pay as you throw” so we have a great incentive for recycling as much as we can.
- Switch to CFL bulbs. They take a tiny bit longer to warm up but they last and last and last.
- Ride your bike for local errands. It’s a great way to get some exercise, too.
- Install a programmable thermostat. We did this a few years ago and, even with out wood stove, it made a big difference in the amount of oil we use.
- Hang clothes on a clothesline. I still think sheets dried in the sunshine have the best smell in the world.
- Buy local food whenever possible. We will be participating in a CSA for the 3rd year this summer and I can’t wait. We also buy local eggs and beef when we get the opportunity.
- Speaking of food, try a vegetarian meal now and again. I sneak one meatless meal in every so often and, while Dale may not be thrilled, he has adjusted.
- Tell someone else something that you do. If we all spread the word then the word will spread!