I know, because of the comments from last week, that many of you enjoy reading…
Ten On Tuesday
The commencement address at Hannah’s university was given by the university’s president and it was very good. He spoke about character and strength and gave some excellent advice. It got me to thinking – what advice would I give to a college graduating class? And you know what happens when I start thinking – Ten On Tuesday topics get created. Today’s topic, no surprise is 10 Things You Would Say If You Gave a Commencement Address.
- Congratulations. Well done. Good job.
- Find a job but make it one that you love.
- Don’t put off an advanced degree if that’s what you’re after.
- Thank your parents and families.
- Don’t use credit cards.
- Trust yourself. Trust your brain, trust your heart, trust your gut. You will know when you are doing the right thing.
- Failure builds character. And confidence.
- Work hard but don’t make work your life.
- Be prepared to change your mind. You might think you have it all figured out right now but you probably don’t. Be open to possibilities.
- Find joy every day. Really – at least once every day find something or someone around you that brings you joy.
This Post Has 17 Comments
I would listen to your commencement speech – short, sweet, to the point, and full of good advice!
That is superb, Carole. Knitting, laughter, fun AND wisdom from you.
That’s great advice, but I would also include something about staying connected with your classmates, make an effort to help each other, to keep learning, and put some time into making things.
Excellent advice, Carole! 🙂
I could only think of Polonius and his speech to his son Laertes:
This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Congratulations to the graduate!
This was a great topic. I think of this quite a bit because I teach high school seniors and listen to many commencement speeches.
I love your advice! Congrats to Hannah and also you and Dale 🙂
Great list! And #5…so important!
Great advise before heading out in to this big scary (at times) world.
Great advice at any age!
An excellent list – it should be enclosed with each mailed-home diploma!
Perfect advice, Carole!! I especially love #8, 9 & 10.
Most of this advice is spot on–nine out of ten. I would amend the credit card one. Use one card, pay it off every month, build a credit rating, and cut the card up if you find you cannot discipline yourself! Hannah seems like the kind of person who manages things well–summa graduation–wow!
Short and to the point! Great picture of your graduate
Excellent words of advice and they should stead her well as she ventures forth. Congratulations to Hannah and to you! Well done!
Carole – I love how heartfelt this topic is for all of us! You’ve got a great list…I wholeheartedly agree with changing your mind. and not paying with credit. I wrote in my post that our “advice for college freshman” was one of my first ToT posts… hard to believe college is behind us both!
#2,#6 and # 7 is what I always wish for my children. Great list!
Comments are closed.